The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Dry Skin

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  EIGHT POINT 
#1 ·
My 13 year old lab has some dry skin and more then a little flaking.
She is given a skin and coat supplement everyday for the last few years and her coat has always been very nice even in the extreme winter and summer months.
Has anyone else seen this with their dog and what measures did you take to help improve the situation?

#3 ·
Year round I give them baths using coal tar shampoos and we add 4 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil to his dry or canned food.
I know others that tried the olive oil and it gave their dogs lose stools, ours are OK with it.
The rule of thumb is a teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight. I would start out at half the dose to see how they handle it.
Good Luck ��

#12 ·
I already use a skin, coat and joint supplement which she has been on for at least the last 4 years.
She is on "grain free" food and has been for some time.
I started the olive oil with 1 tablespoon in her evening food.
Her stools look normal.
I'll keep her on the 1 tablespoon per day for another 2 weeks and if her condition doesn't change I'll bump it up a little bit.
We gave her a bath yesterday since it was so nice out with specialized shampoo.
She did well and stayed put throughout her bath and rinse.
Her coat is shinny but you can see where her chocolate brown hair is lighter where her dry skin areas are.
They are not big areas, more so like 1" x 1" patches mostly on her side along the upper sides her back but not on top of her back.
Every time we pet her, her rear leg on the side we are petting starts going 100 miles per hour...
She is not scratching herself or rubbing herself along the couch or floor so that's good. That tells me that she in not too too itchy...
We'll keep an eye on her.
Thanks for all the input...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.