Gun Dog for Old Guy? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Gun Dog for Old Guy?

I will turn 70 in May. I am without my gundog companion for the first time in a long time.

I am interested in what some of you guys think what will be the best bet for a new pup. I am a regular gym rat/ jogger, etc. and I thank God for that. But not getting any younger...

As you can imagine, it would mean a lot to me to get any suggestions or advice...Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 08:34 AM

For what it's worth, whichever breed you've been most comfortable with is a logical choice.

We're in the same age bracket, and it seems you're in better shape than I am, but the need for an obedient hunting dog is a common thread. I have my first Vizsla, the smallest pointing breed, and although they claim they are very energetic, my Tessa has been ideal. The breed is reputed to nearly train themselves, and I believe it. After four years it's obvious she figures it out, and is eager to please, hunt, and just plain loyal.
dce likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 08:59 AM

I'm close to your age and I'm wrapping up my third season with an English Springer.
I was able to teach her to hunt close, she has a great nose, plenty of drive and is a
great home companion.

9 " you want Philly Philly? "

Doug " yeah, let's do it. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks flintlock and matchman...I like those dogs. The dog I am most familiar with is the Brittany.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am 70. My Brittany will be 12 in October. She has been a great dog: good hunter and family pet. I figure that I will be in a situation much like yours eventually.

Since I am retired I can walk the dog twice a day in woods near my house. The routine has helped to keep me in fair shape. We both enjoy the exercise.

I am not sure I will get another bird dog but if I do I don't think I will get a pup again. I don't know if I can handle the 2 am potty outings. I was thinking about getting an older dog from a rescue group or a breeder who has a dog that didn't work out with placement. I figure I could evaluate the dog to be sure it would be a good fit for me. I would buy some pigeons or quail to test its prey drive on birds.

Good luck.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 10:16 AM

I'll be 73 the first week of February so I'm slightly ahead of you in that department. I picked up my newest dog when I was your age, he'll be three on March 1st. That gave me three, all brittanys, two males and one female. I always liked having three bird dogs. Lost my older male this past summer due to a freakish disease, he was a really good dog and only eight years old. I'll always keep at least two until I'm to old or infirm to get out there although the declining grouse population makes it more difficult and expensive to train them properly.

People like different breeds for different reasons. I've had good luck with brits and have had several of them since 1976.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 10:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What kind of dog did you have before for a hunting companion? Myself, I prefer beagles (I am also 70 and have 8 beagles). Mine hunt pheasants as well as rabbits. I find that it is enjoyable hunting them in a pack, trio, brace, or just one and me. I also find that they are great house dogs as well. A beagle pup would be my recommendation.
stinkbait likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kaschak View Post
What kind of dog did you have before for a hunting companion? Myself, I prefer beagles (I am also 70 and have 8 beagles). Mine hunt pheasants as well as rabbits. I find that it is enjoyable hunting them in a pack, trio, brace, or just one and me. I also find that they are great house dogs as well. A beagle pup would be my recommendation.
Ive had beagles and my last was a Brittany. Beagles are great all around dogs but I kinda like Britts for the house and possibly a field Springer...Thanks
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 03:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my personal favorites are labs and beagles for hunting. If you want just a companion take a look at a husky. good luck in your search and decision.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Unread 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am seventy and have a 3 year old Gordon Setter he keeps me young and in shape. I do not think life would be any fun without my dogs. I enjoy them more than most people I know.
Matchman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in