Seresto Collar - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Seresto Collar

Every year I struggled with ticks on my gsp. I used a few different types of drops, finally this year I tried one of those seresto collars. The collar has been on 5 months now and after our first hunt the other day, not a single tick was on the dog! This message is in no way shape or form sponsored by seresto, just wanted to put a plug in for those of you who struggle with ticks on your dog.
Bull and jimbridger like this.

"A bad day hunting or fishing still beats a good day at work!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Part of the Community

They've worked great for me for the past few years. Those collars with sheep drench for heartworms and they are covered.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:39 AM

glad to hear it worked for you, good luck with it in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Regular Visitor

They work great no issues since I started using them last year
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Regular Visitor

Definitely worth the money! I put new ones on in the spring and they work flawlessly through the next winter. I hunted with a friend and his dog last weekend and he was complaining about ticks all over his dog and mine had none. The next day he bought a serestro.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Make sure you get a genuine Bayer Seresto. There are a lot of fake ones that have Seresto and even the Bayer markings on the can but they are fake. My wife bought some on Ebay because they looked like the real deal. I put one on my beagle and after just a few days she started having upset stomach and becoming lethargic. Ticks were still as bad as they were without a collar, so I began to investigate and found that a lot of people were having similar problems and some of their pets had become very sick and some had died. I did some searching and found out that a lot of fakes are being sold recently. I have included some pics below of how you can tell a fake from the genuine seresto. Hopefully, it will keep someone's best friend from getting sick.

1. Front of cans look similar
2. Back of genuine collar can will have a lot# and expiration date. Fake does not (usually)
3. Genuine will have Seresto and Bayer stamped around the can on the sides. Fake does not.
4. Genuine Seresto is more narrow than the fake.
5. Genuine Seresto have reflectors included. At least the ones have purchased.

Comparison pics.
FAKE COLLAR ON LEFT - GENUINE ON RIGHT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6366.jpg (1.17 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6367.jpg (1.17 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6368.jpg (1.10 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6370.jpg (873.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Zeke; 11-05-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanctrapper View Post
They work great no issues since I started using them last year
5 years now.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Make sure you get a genuine Bayer Seresto. There are a lot of fake ones that have Seresto and even the Bayer markings on the can but they are fake. My wife bought some on Ebay because they looked like the real deal. I put one on my beagle and after just a few days she started having upset stomach and becoming lethargic. Ticks were still as bad as they were without a collar, so I began to investigate and found that a lot of people were having similar problems and some of their pets had become very sick and some had died. I did some searching and found out that a lot of fakes are being sold recently. I have included some pics below of how you can tell a fake from the genuine seresto. Hopefully, it will keep someone's best friend from getting sick.

1. Front of cans look similar
2. Back of genuine collar can will have a lot# and expiration date. Fake does not (usually)
3. Genuine will have Seresto and Bayer stamped around the can on the sides. Fake does not.
4. Genuine Seresto is more narrow than the fake.
5. Genuine Seresto have reflectors included. At least the ones have purchased.

Comparison pics.
FAKE COLLAR ON LEFT - GENUINE ON RIGHT
My wife did the same thing ... they were from Bayer South Africa, but shipped from England. After she ordered them is when she realized that something might be up ... She ended up calling Bayer, USA and had a pretty long discussion with them. Long story short - Bayer USA couldn't tell her for sure if they were real or not, and they didn't even know for certain if it was the same drugs as used on the collars here. All they'd tell her is that they really shouldn't have even been shipped from an overseas address to us. They suggested calling Bayer South Africa, but we just stopped at that point.

Luckily, she was able to get a refund issued.

On another note ... My older dog has been on one since she was a puppy and the only issue she had was one summer when she was doing a lot of swimming with the collar on - it apparently shouldve been replaced & she got a bad case of fleas, but that's more my fault for not believing them and replacing the collar soon enough. The younger dog seemed to develop a rash from it and will even get one if she's laying on the older dog a lot or spends too much time playing with my buddy's dog who also wears one. She gets a pill from the vet.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would just suggest that after people put them on there dogs that they keep an eye on them for a couple days because I have 5 labs and hunt them allot ! I had bought the originals and put them on my dogs and 3 of them were fine but my one dog got a very bad skin issue under the collar and lost all her hair around the collar under her neck. My one other dog (her son) started having seizures so I took it off of both of them and so far so good ! Just something to watch for !! My other 3 dogs have been good and tick free with them on !!

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Zeke, bought a replacement for mine from Tractor Supply last night and it was like the one on the left.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page