Serasto collars - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Serasto collars

Anybody else having trouble with there collars , slide loose and tear i had them other yrs and they worked great. Also for first time found tick on dog that had one on for couple weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Mine work great but I learned to remove when hunting. Ticks will be on dogs when they come out of the field but they will be on top of the fur and never attached. So far so good. Waugh!

BTW they are designed to come loose if the dog is tangled. Reason I remove from hounds in the brush.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM
The Man

I've moved on to Bravecto, seems to work well.
On a side note, is it no-where or now-here?
Marcus99 likes this.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:42 PM
dce
Sage

If anything,I seem to be constantly loosening the one on my dog.Other than not,never had a problem and never had a tick on the dog.There are some fake seresto collars out there.Maybe you picked one of those up.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Your best to buy them from your veterinarian. There are a lot of fakes out there. See a cheap one on amazon, Good chance its fake. Two months ago a friend was complaining he found engorged tics on his dogs and that he had just put new Seresto's on them two weeks before. I asked where he purchased them at. His wife got a killer deal on Amazon. My wife's a vet tech and she checked them out . They where fake.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 PM
K98

We have them on our GSP and beagle. Never had a tick on either dog. We buy ours at Rural King in Butler.

Be the person your dog thinks you are
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:02 AM
The Man

We have them on our Rotts.

This time around, they don't wanna stay on. These ones either came from Walmart or the vet. You'd think for that kinda money, they could devise a system to keep the collar ON the dog. When they stay on, they seem to work pretty well.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

My vet has recommended Simparica, a chewable, for my dogs. They are in the woods daily, most I've found is live ticks after they immediately emerge from the brush. And not many of those.

Simparica will actually pay your vet bills if your dog gets Lyme or other tick-borne disease.

Having young kids, I have been less comfortable with liquid applied to the fur or a collar on the dog. Simparica has done a great job with my dogs.

Just another idea to consider.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Use a small zip tie on the tag end.

Boom! Boom! Boom!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Before we used the Serasto collars we had our sheltie vaccinated for lime disease. Later we took her for her yearly shots and I notice she had two ticks on her ear. She tested positive and the vet. gave her an antibiotic shot and we started using the Serasto collars.

The next trip to the vet. she tested negative. Since we have been using the collar we check and brush her regularly and we have found no ticks on her probably four years now. Better than I can say for myself. She plays and lays in the 2 acre grass back yard daily and goes for walks in the woods.

The Serasto collars do have a recommenced time of efficiently of 8 months and may not perform best for a short time after a bath.

The vet. has a map in his office with flags denoting the location of dog residence where lime disease was been confirmed with testing and around our residence it is very high.

Also I have learned over the last few years one can contact ticks any month of the years in PA.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page