Colonial Farms in SW PA is looking for a couple of guides for the upcoming 2019 -2020 season. I have been guiding hunts for 8 years and it's a great way to get some extra cash (for that SD trip) in your pocket and your dog on a lot of birds. Looking for someone to help guide Monday thru Friday hunts and someone to help guide weekend hunts.
- Your dog must be a pointing breed.
- Your dog must listen to you. Nothing worse than someone constantly screaming at their dog to get it to obey. Clients don't enjoy it either.
- Your dog must excel at finding birds. Clients don't like walking for an hour to try to find one bird.
- Your dog must hold point. Clients don't like it when the dog bumps the bird out of gun range.
- Your dog doesn't have to retrieve to hand but at a minimum should find the downed bird.
- Your dog must be in hunting shape. Clients don't like it when the dog lays down after an hour of hunting.
- You must be in shape to walk up and down hills for 3-4 hours. Clients don't mind stopping to rest when they are tired but they do mind having to stop so you can rest.
- You must be friendly and engage in conversation with the client.
You'll get $60 for a half day hunt and $100 for a full day hunt plus whatever tips the client gives you. The majority of the hunts you'll guide are half days (avg. 3 hours) and you can expect anywhere from $90 to $120 in your pocket for a half day hunt. The amount you are tipped by the client usually correlates to the clients satisfaction with the hunt. Client has a great hunt equals larger tip; client has a so-so hunt equals smaller tip. You get paid in cash at the end of each hunt.
If interested, please send me an email at [email protected]