Looking for a new dog: GSP or Gordon Setter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Looking for a new dog: GSP or Gordon Setter

I am looking for a new dog and am thinking of a GSP. I live and hunt in NEPA and would want a close working dog with an easy going personality. The dog would be in the house with the family all of the time. I hunt grouse, woodcock and pheasants in thick cover. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with any kennels in the PA, NY, NJ area? I have always had Gordons and love them, but cant seem to find any breeders that have the larger older style (they were almost like a Ryman setter in size and hunting style) I cant seem to locate the breeder that I had gotten the previous dogs from in Wisconsin, it was Tartana Kennels run by Holly Wachuta. Excellent dogs. I am not interested in the smaller field trial style dogs like the Springsets, though they are good hunters too. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:52 AM
dce

This is out close to Erie but not nearly as far for you as Wisconsin.I bought a GSP pup from him in oct 2017 from the recommendation of a friend.She's a GSP so she's a little bit of a PIA but otherwise,the most affectionate,obedient dog I've ever had.Her natural ability to hunt amazes me every time we have her out.She in your face constantly but the entertainment value she provides along with her affectionate personality and ability to hunt far outweigh the times when she drives me crazy.

German Shorthaired Pointer PA :: Mar Mac Kennels :: McKean, PA
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 AM
dce

He breeds his dogs a little on the bigger side.Mine just turned 19 mo old and she weighs close to 70lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56601068_2438534119513539_2715939874048835584_o.jpg (232.0 KB, 9 views)
BillHjr and Uncle Nicky like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would recommend ShoreShot GSPs( see website). They are located in Barnegat, NJ. Active with NAVHDA and do a great job of selective breeding. I have a 3yr old male that I am over the top happy with. I can also PM over contact info if interested.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
She in your face constantly but the entertainment value she provides along with her affectionate personality and ability to hunt far outweigh the times when she drives me crazy.
"Entertainment" value ... nice way of putting it ....LOL ... I have a 5 month old GSP puppy & she's certainly provided some "entertainment" value so far. My 5 year old GSP however is certainly not entertained by the shenanigans of this 5 month old puppy.
dce likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage

Buy a copy of the "Pointing Dog Journal" they have adds in the back of the magazine for old time larger Gordon Setters

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 PM
Part of the Community

There are a couple guys on this board that have those lines of Gordons, I think. Both grouse hunters.

Robert Ecker of Midnight kennels has a female Gordon from a litter of one of them. He would be able to help you out if your looking for a setter (English or Gordon)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:45 PM

As I mentioned in my thread "To Hunt or Not", I had to put down my great GSP in Dec.

After 4 long months of being dogless and much thought as to if he could be replaced, I checked the Warriors Mark Kennel website and darned if they didn't have a litter due in late March. I was thrilled to get the 3rd pick of males available around Memorial Day.

I just checked their website and notice that all of the GSP were sold which does you no good.

However, they may be worth checking because they indicated that there may be another litter available in the near future. Good luck in your search.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:00 PM
dce

I've hunted with dogs that came from Warriors mark and they they were good dogs.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:06 PM
dce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP66 View Post
"Entertainment" value ... nice way of putting it ....LOL ... I have a 5 month old GSP puppy & she's certainly provided some "entertainment" value so far. My 5 year old GSP however is certainly not entertained by the shenanigans of this 5 month old puppy.
Five months old was a pretty trying time for ours.When she was about 9mo old she actually went through the window in our living room to get at some robins in the yard lol.That was a fun phone call from my wife at work,considering she didn't want the dog to begin with.After about a year,she started to figure things out and became much more manageable.Now I just laugh every night when I look over and see the dog sleeping on my wife's lap.The older I get,the more I like dogs and dislike people.I'll never be without a GSP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page