Tick Prevention - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Use the Soresto's on our 2 dogs and they work great. They are slightly pricey getting them from the vets but it is convenient.
The one had a reaction to it when they first came out but I tried it on him the following year and it was fine. Not sure if the collar itself made him less active or the fact he didn't like the feel around his neck but he is fine with it now.
I like not having replace it through out the year since I keep it on them till they go to the vets every May for booster shots and health check. They swim with them on and I have not observed any type insects on the dogs, even misquotes do not seem to bother them much.
They say they work for 8 months but I keep them on year round in case there is a early hatch or not a hard freeze to put the ticks out of the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think the seresto isn't working for me because it keeps being pulled off of him. I would say it is on him for 18-20 hours out of the day. I have it on him snug. I can fit about 2 fingers under it. Maybe I just got a bad one? He now has bravecto from the vet, so hopefully that does the trick. Thanks everyone!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use the seresto collar as well on my older GSP. The pup has had her puppy visits & the vet has just been giving her something orally for fleas & ticks. I'll start the collar on her after this dose she got is done.

The only time I had a problem with the collar was one summer the older one was swimming a lot. My parents would watch the kids overnight a couple days a week when my wife had to work and they'd take the dog. Her and the kids would swim practically the whole time they were there. I really didn't believe the advice about replacing the collar more often if the dog swims alot. I do now. She ended up getting fleas & before we knew it she'd gotten fleas in the boys' room and that is/was something I don't care to repeat.

The vet did tell me that once they go swimming it takes a day or so for the collar to get back to covering their entire body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Brit isn't much of a swimmer, actually he avoids water unless he is retrieving a bird then he is all about it. He hasn't been swimming in several months though.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Part of the Community

My vet told me the pills and the topicals (frontline, k9 advanitx, etc...) don't repel the ticks but instead have the chemicals so that when the tick embeds it dies in the skin. This was when I was using K9 Advantix II. Now mine have a seresto and a vaccine. If you know you're going where the ticks are bad do a topical spray like permethrin on your dog. The link is below. I trust this on me and if they state it works on dogs to repel I will trust it since I haven't gotten a tick on me in over 4 years using sawyers. Plus the aerosol or spray is cheap compared to others. I would try a small spot on your dog before spraying his entire undercarriage with it to make sure your dog doesn't have an adverse effect. Some dogs (collie's, setter's and a few others have a strange gene that doesn't react well "sometimes" to some chemicals. More specifically ivermectin for worms).

https://sawyer.com/dogs-and-permethr...ect-repellent/

Plus right now it's on sale at Walmart since it isn't hunting season per se. I use the aerosol since I've had bad luck with the pump bottles squirter.

Last edited by rcshank85; 03-27-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot to post link
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Part of the Community

IIRC, permethrin is of little value for spraying on yourself, only good on your clothes, as it breaks down in a very short time on human skin. For human skin would stick with picaridin or DEET.

If Sunday hunting was not already illegal, who among us would not laugh at making it so?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
IIRC, permethrin is of little value for spraying on yourself, only good on your clothes, as it breaks down in a very short time on human skin. For human skin would stick with picaridin or DEET.

Yes... I strip naked and spray my whole body with sawyers... OR maybe I spray it on my clothes...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bravecto and Nexguard work great, and Rick's need to feed for about 10 hours to transmit disease and both of these "pills" kill any tick longer before that.

Seresto collar is a great option too if you don't want to go the monthly pill route. Just keep in mind, per several vets I have been told that the 8 month efficacy can diminish to like 4-6 months if your dog is a frequent swimmer. Still even 4 months efficacy at around $50/collar is still a very good deal.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Bravecto and Nexguard work great, and Rick's need to feed for about 10 hours to transmit disease and both of these "pills" kill any tick longer before that.

Seresto collar is a great option too if you don't want to go the monthly pill route. Just keep in mind, per several vets I have been told that the 8 month efficacy can diminish to like 4-6 months if your dog is a frequent swimmer. Still even 4 months efficacy at around $50/collar is still a very good deal.

I just replace the collar every 6 months. I've got too much wrapped up in that dog to try to stretch a dollar. Have been back and forth with Soresto and Bravecto. Both have worked well for me.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:14 PM

I've been using cattle tags and have been very satisfied with the performance and price. Not sure if I would use them on an indoor dog though...

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page