Eastern Sjports and Outdoor Show - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Eastern Sjports and Outdoor Show

For Immediate Release
For more information, contact Josh Fleming at (803) 637-7698 (803) 637-7698 .

NWTF Withdraws from Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show

EDGEFIELD, S.C. — The National Wild Turkey Federation has withdrawn from the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pa., due to the decision to ban the display of modern sporting rifles.

As a leading advocate for the preservation of our hunting heritage, the NWTF believes it is an important time to take a clear stance on its support of sportsmen and the Second Amendment and the clear link between the two.

The NWTF has canceled its booth space and will be rescheduling the NWTF sanctioned calling contest that was slated to take place at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show once a suitable venue is determined.

“We feel strongly about the importance of the Second Amendment in pursuit of our mission of preserving our hunting heritage,” said Skip Motts, President of the NWTF Pennsylvania State Chapter. “We reached out to our chapters from across the state and received overwhelming support for taking this stand.”

The NWTF works to pass on the right to hunt to future generations, including reducing legal barriers to creating new hunters and introducing almost 100,000 people to outdoor sports annually. The right to bear arms is another pillar of the hunting tradition that the NWTF fully supports. The efforts to preserve our hunting heritage can be undone if new barriers to hunting are created by limiting the tools that the vast majority of sportsmen depend on to hunt.

The NWTF will host its National Convention and Sport Show in Nashville, Tenn., from Feb. 15 to 17. The NWTF welcomes any attendees or exhibitors to consider coming to the NWTF Convention and Sport Show. The NWTF is working to add booths to the already sold out show in an attempt to accommodate companies that have decided to change plans about exhibiting at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show. Contact April Flowers at [email protected] for information on reserving a booth.

A national nonprofit organization, the NWTF is the leader in upland wildlife habitat conservation in North America. Through dynamic partnerships with state, federal and provincial agencies, the NWTF has helped restore turkey populations throughout North America, investing $412 million to conserve 17.3 million acres of habitat. The NWTF and its dedicated volunteers also introduce about 100,000 people to the outdoors every year through NWTF outreach programs.

National Wild Turkey Federation
770 Augusta Rd., Edgefield, SC, 29824
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Eastern Sjports and Outdoor Show

Excellent !!

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

“We reached out to our chapters from across the state and received overwhelming support for taking this stand.”

no, you actually didn't. I'm sure the decision is suppported, but you didn't reach out beyond the State board.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Why all of a sudden does an organization who's against the use of rifles in their sport all for rifles now???? Does someone else besides me hear the word MONEY and CONTRIBUTIONS from the manufacturers ringing in the halls of Edgefield!!! And they constantly are against the use of rifles in our fall season..how many times have we read those words or heard someone make a statement in the past.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dasher you really don't get it. It has nothing to with hunting or what is legal for certain game

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM

HAMMER, are you sure I'm the one who's not getting it!!! It's all about CASH and MONEY and SALES and nothing else.. Have you been shopping lately or tried to buy some shells for this coming spring season, what does turkey shells have to do with the AR debate..who caused this, WE DID and who's smiling the shooting industry.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
The Man

Dasher, read the ban proposal. You know all those people that hunt turkeys with semiauto shotguns with pistol grips on them? Yep, those will be illegal. It all ties together my friend. Open your eyes. It's not just about money, it's about protecting our second amendment.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

...and the shooting industry ain't smiling
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

PLEASE, lets not assume what took place during the NWTF decison making process to pull out of the show? This decision and how it occured is not TOP SECRET INFORMATION. The decision was not made in a vacuum and a couple comments made above just are not true? I lived it and would like to address it here. The local Chapter Michaux Yellow Breeches has been involved in the ESOS for 35 yrs. They have been the lead, with State/National support for most of that time. This year the support to the local Chapter can only be described as the best ever. The 2 comments in this string I would like to address are as follows:

"no, you actually didn't. I'm sure the decision is suppported, but you didn't reach out beyond the State board."

The State Chapter President reached out to the State Board who assisted in drafting an email that went out to ALL LOCAL CHAPTER PRESIDENTS (Last count is 80 plus). Of the Presidents polled the overwhelming majority-90 plus percent advised the State Board to pull from the show. This decision was made as a National organization, based on our Mission Statement. It was not based on what everyone else was doing and the decision making process started early on when the number of organizations pulling was small. National NWTF waited to do the press release until we completed our poll HERE IN PA. From day 1 in the controversy(s) surrounding the show National supported whatever decision was made by the Local/State Chapter regarding this issue.

"It's all about CASH and MONEY and SALES and nothing else.."

No offense, but this comment could not be more wrong. The local Chapter, State and National combined lost money by pulling (i will not give exact figures). This is just pre-show, that is not counting revenue lost during the show that would of gone to Michaux State Forest, Local Game Lands, etc.....

We are working hard to re-coupe our loss's and get it back into Local/State/National conservation as most Conservation organizations are - we will be at Bass Pro Harrisburg 2-10 Feb. We are working to move the PA Turkey Calling Contest to another venue in 2013.

I thank all of you in advance for letting me set the record staight, basically vent. Instead of posting mis-interpretations, feel free to call me and ask the tough questions. I'll do my best to answer them. Pick up your Turkey Talk and you have my number. One final note, I harvested my first long beard, in the fall, in 1986, with a rifle.

Jerry Nelson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page