New PGC 2012-2013 Fall Turkey Hunting Orange Req - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

New PGC 2012-2013 Fall Turkey Hunting Orange Req

New PGC 2012-2013 Fall Turkey Hunting Orange Regulation Requirements
From Turkey Hunting Forum...

As mentioned above the simplification of regulations is all about mandatory orange, mandatory orange increase while Moving or Stationary in 1A, 1B, 2A, by allowing the legal use of rifles for fall turkey hunting in these 3 WMU's.

Go to pages 68-69 of the current PA Hunting & Trapping Digest 2011-2012, Read the Orange Moving and Stationary regulation requirements, pre April Commissioner vote, and now post April Commissioner vote when the new Digest is available. Carefully read the Fluorescent Orange Regulations in the new, updated, soon to be released, PA Hunting & Trapping Digest when you purchase your hunting license, or read the new regulations on the PGC web site when 2012-2013 Hunting Seasons start.

IMHO, and this is Don Heckman typing and representing Don Heckman... 1) I have never supported rifles for fall turkey hunting, clear back to the dreadful 1986-1988 debate, 2) do not support increased mandatory orange regulations in fall turkey hunting season when combined with other fall hunting seasons with legal use of rifles, clear back to 1975 pre up coming 1990's orange debates, 3) do not support any mandatory use, Moving or Stationary, orange regulation change during spring gobbler hunting season, again clear back to 1975 pre up coming 1990's orange debates, 4) did not and continue to not support Commissioner's and Staff when they initially suggest or finalize more mandatory use, while Moving or Stationary, of orange for turkey hunting seasons, 5) while fully supporting increased state-wide turkey hunter safety coverage during spring and fall turkey hunting seasons and increased fines and penalities for mistaken for game shooting incidents. And a lot more could be added that has already been stated in this forum on these issues.

However since I have been mainly the only one still vocal and of vocal opinion in the orange dialogue over these past 23 years, and mostly being on the opposite side of the mandatory orange use and debate with PGC Staff and Commissioner's for these past 23 years, I will and I do obey the Game Law. I will however also work my but off to change the Game Law Orange Regulation for turkey hunting seasons as I have done the past 23 years. And in retirement will continue to do so as the mandatory orange regulation change is placed on the table.

Sidebar: Likewise... with all 6 Objectives within the current PGC Management Plan For Wild Turkeys In Pennsylvania throughout the implementation and update, the decision making criteria and process of the Goal and 6 Objectives as documented and outlined. Resource First - Wild Turkey First. And the continuation of PGC's very important and highly successful wild turkey management plan Goal and Objectives from both pre 1999 and 2006 management plan updates. I count it as 53 years of wild turkey managment success without one documented failure to state-wide populations. Both incredible and impressive in these past 50+ years that I have researched for wildlife management success stories, accomplished and done right by the management plan book.

And it doesn't hurt to have a national and state chapter wildlife conservation organization working out in front with turkey hunters of the same opinion and same dedication on these issues pertaining to mandatory orange usage documented during 1991-1995 ... 2001-2004 ... 2005-2007 ... 2012-xxxx and continued oversight, yearly reviews, turkey hunting safety information education updates, renewed dialogue with PGC Staff and Commissioner's and NWTF Staff, state and local chapter updates, and maintaining watchdog status when proposals are presented and before final votes are taken... might say just one of several full time jobs as a turkey hunter volunteer.

Let's see how far this new orange simplification challenge and these orange regulation changes to increase mandatory orange, Moving and Stationary, in fall turkey hunting season is taken. And let's hope and continue to support spring turkey hunting season stays exactly the way it is printed in this current 2011-2012 PA Hunting & Trapping Digest, page 35, under Fluorescent Orange Requirements: ((three words highlighted in orange color)) Spring Season: Fluorescent orange is no longer required but is recommended when moving through the spring woods.

Again IMHO, and this just may be me thinking out loud... these words should be added to that sentence, "and displayed in a stationary position". Each turkey hunter has a "choice" to not wear or display orange or to wear and display orange when Moving or in Stationary position from 100 sq in up to 1000 sq in while turkey hunting.

THINK SAFETY - HUNT SAFELY
More to follow...
Don...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: New PGC 2012-2013 Fall Turkey Hunting Orange Req

2012-2013 Wild Turkey Fall and Spring Turkey Hunting Seasons

While the PGC Board of Commissioners did not change wild turkey season lengths or bag limits during the April meeting, they did approve mentored youth hunting for fall turkey hunting and permitted the use of rifles for fall turkey hunting in WMUs 1A, 1B and 2A. WMU 2B remains shotgun and bow and arrow only. Fall 2012 turkey season dates are:
WMU 2B (Shotgun/bow and arrow only): Oct. 27-Nov. 16 and Nov. 22-24;
WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 4A, 4B and 4D: Oct. 27-Nov. 10 and Nov. Nov. 22-24;
WMUs 2F, 2G, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4C and 4E: Oct. 27-Nov. 16 and Nov. 22-24;
WMU 5A: Oct 30-Nov. 1;
WMUs 5B, 5C and 5D: Closed to fall turkey hunting.
Spring 2013 junior season, statewide: April 20. Hunting hours close at noon.
Spring 2013 season, statewide: April 27-May 31. Hunting hours close at noon, April 27 May 11. Hunting hours close one-half hour after sunset, May 13- 31.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM
The Man

Re: New PGC 2012-2013 Fall Turkey Hunting Orange Req

1B ......

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page