Habitat Question? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Habitat Question?

With all the recent storms my property is loaded with fallen trees and branches. I know that creating brush piles benefits a lot of small game species and I try to do this in my field sections. My question is,would creating brush piles in the wooded section help the turkeys or just give the predators a place in which to ambush the birds? Than You!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Habitat Question?

I have no first hand experience with how brushpiles work for turkeys but I would think if you could pile it up with a opening in the center to allow enough room for them to land/ take off it would be a help till the snow shows up. The key I think being that you may not keep the predators out but you will buy the turkeys some time to escape. It would have to be awful high for a bobcat or yote to not be able to jump on and over a pile. And I'm not even gonna imagine that a bear or fisher wouldn't go over or thru a pile pretty quick but would def make some noise doing it.

Providing PA landowners with professional habitat strategies
PTA Dist 11
SFI #5899
QDMA LCPI

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the response!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

downed logs and slash will provide nesting cover. Openings on the forest floor may yield herbaceous growth which will attract insects, and as a result will attract turkeys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 PM

From one of our wild turkey biologists:

Brush piles can be a useful habitat addition for small game and for grouse and turkey nesting cover. If this person wants to create brush piles in the woods I would recommend that they be placed in areas where the canopy is open allowing light penetration to the forest floor. He should construct several brush piles 15-20 feet in diameter. The sunlight hitting the ground will stimulate the growth of blackberries and other vegetation that will help nesting turkeys to hide and discourage predators from entering the pile. This process will take some time. If there are several brush piles predators may not hunt them all successfully. If he has only enough downed branches for one brush pile it needs to be larger. Brush piles can be a predator sink allowing predators to hunt successfully if they are small and few in number.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the very informative responses!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Heckman
From one of our wild turkey biologists:

Brush piles can be a useful habitat addition for small game and for grouse and turkey nesting cover. If this person wants to create brush piles in the woods I would recommend that they be placed in areas where the canopy is open allowing light penetration to the forest floor. He should construct several brush piles 15-20 feet in diameter. The sunlight hitting the ground will stimulate the growth of blackberries and other vegetation that will help nesting turkeys to hide and discourage predators from entering the pile. This process will take some time. If there are several brush piles predators may not hunt them all successfully. If he has only enough downed branches for one brush pile it needs to be larger. Brush piles can be a predator sink allowing predators to hunt successfully if they are small and few in number.
Yes ,thanks, Great answer!

Providing PA landowners with professional habitat strategies
PTA Dist 11
SFI #5899
QDMA LCPI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page