Turkeys in 5C - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Turkeys in 5C

Don't know if this is the approprate place to post this, but I was wondering if there was any concern from the PGC and/or the NWTF of Pa. about the near demise of turkeys in 5C.

I know we once had a strong population in my area (Northwestern 5C), but it has dwindled to nearly nothing. Is there anything being looked at, other than a closed fall season? Is there any concern?
I can't seem to find any info. so if anyone knows anything, please post. Thanks.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:24 AM

Re: Turkeys in 5C

I can't speak for the whole WMU of 5C or even a whole county, but only where I hunt. In my own personal opinion I have seen a slight increase since the close of Fall turkey and it's slight. IMO the number in flocks was really bad roughly 10 years ago. IMO we have too much suburban sprawl to ever get turkey populations back to where they where in the mid-late 90's (I only speak of mid-late 90's because that's when I started hunting them). Too much lost habitat.
It is also much harder now to hunt spring gobbler in 5C. We have smaller properties. It's very difficult to walk around and locate a gobbler before you come to a property line. As far as I know their hasn't been any turkey research done in SE PA for some time. Whitetail research yes (finally).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:55 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I started hunting turkeys in the northwest corner of 5C in 2009. My first day out, I had three birds gobbling in the little area I have to hunt. Each year it's been less and less activity. The last shot opportunity I had was at a jake a couple of years ago first thing on the first morning, and I figured I'd try to hold out for a longbeard. I haven't had a turkey in front of my shotgun since, and I didn't even hear a single gobble last spring, nor see any hens.

Love hunting them, but there's not many around to hunt. Public land makes me really sketchy....just always hear about how many hunters there are and while there's room to roam, I'm not sure how much walking/calling one can do if there's a guy yelping behind every other tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes ACEarcher, down your way it's probably some different issues. Up here in the Northwestern part of 5C and even the Southeastern part of 4C, we have great habitat and we HAD a pretty darn good population of birds for years.

As TDD said, they started to drop off about 5 years ago. The last two years, you don't even see or hear a bird anywhere. I never hunted much where I live, but I always kept track of the birds. There are precious few left.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:29 AM

I don't hunt spring gobbler in Chester County. Their are very very very few turkey in Chester County. I know of through the grape vine a couple very small flocks spread very far apart, but barely even a huntable population.
When I mentioned turkey hunting in my first post I was speaking about where I hunt turkeys in Bucks Co. I hunt a large area there. I remember seeing flocks of 60 birds way back then.
I looked quickly for some of the PGC turkey harvest data. Unless I'm mistaken, it's a shame you can't get harvest data by county anymore. So in 03' the spring harvest was 2,272. The total harvest for 13' was 1,090. The 2013 harvest was one of the highest harvests in the past several year prior to 2013.
Considering the areas I know in Chester and even the areas in Bucks County IMO the habitat is ok. It's not the greatest. How much of it is deemed actually usable though...? How much have we lost throughout the past say ten years (a lot)? Do we have enough trappers harvesting nest raiders? SEPA holds the most hunters per-sq-mile. If more people try and hunt local is this to many?
Many questions I ask myself for time to time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Part of the Community

I know of a couple birds in the Chester country portion of 5C. My mom saw one in her back yard early one morning in September and I actually saw a hen with six poults during shotgun buck season this fall. I won't be hunting any of them however
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I haven't hunted spring turkey in 5C for a few years, but see a lot of birds though. My mom lives north or Doylestown and has a flock of 22 birds in her back yard at least 3 days a week though out the fall and winter. My buddy has shot a bird on her property every year for the past 5 or 6 years. I live near Sellersville and hear birds every spring, and I am only about 1/2 mile from the Game Lands.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 PM
The Man

Just saw 4 longbeards in 5C today out in a corn field. Chester County.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 PM

I see a ton. They are all over. Problem is access to a lot of them for me. Have such small areas to hunt hard to set up in them.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 PM

Nockamixion loaded with them on the edges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page