Burgers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Burgers

Any of you cook a mean hamburger ? If so what’s your secret ? Any special ways you like to prepare them ? What kind of beef and seasoning do you use ? Bread , condiments , charcoal grill, smoked ?
Guess I am just hungry at the moment but my burgers always turn out average. Looking to up my game.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 11:34 AM
The Man

I get ground prime rib from Weis. Pricey but makes fantastic burgers on the grill.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 11:58 AM

25/75 or 20/80 don't go any leaner than that. Screaming hot steel griddle or cast iron....do it outside unless you have top notch ventilation over your range. Grilled burgers can be decent especially over hot coals but don't come close to a good burger cooked in its own grease. Propane grills, best results you'll achieve are vastly underwhelming mediocrity. Acceptable for a large crowd or a weeknight pinch, but not gonna be top-notch. The key is getting that nice flavorful browning that gives you flavor, but not a bitter burnt char. Much easier achieved on a flat surface than a grill due to the surface area contacting conductive heat surface.

Heavy salt and pepper immediately before you cook.. Throw in on the griddle, give it a press down to make sure you have maximum contact with the meat and the heat. Then don't touch it for about 90 seconds until you have good browning, flip once, cheese it, cook until its done. I'm a rare steak guy all the way but my burgers to medium well/well, the texture of ground meat that the proteins haven't set is disgusting. Thus my dislike of venison burgers, because at that point they are dried out cardboard unless you mix in other animal fat...at that point you don't have a deer burger, so what's the point? You can temp them, I go by visual. When it starts to contract just a little, pull them and they'll keep cooking some more.

Don't get fancy, don't mix all kinds of garbage in and turn it into a meatloaf/sausage patty. It's a burger. Meat, salt, pepper, that's it. Don't overwork your meat, it messes with the protein structures and makes them tough. Do the bare minimum to get it into a patty.

Simple potato bun, the burger is the star of the show here, not your neighborhood baker and his silly brioche. Toast the bun in the grease after your done cooking for another flavor/texture boost.

Lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, and ketchup. Bacon and fried egg are acceptable add-ons when you really want to get at it. Mayo is a mortal sin against humanity.

Last edited by elk yinzer; 05-19-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 12:08 PM
The Man

This will be sacrilege to many, but the best burgers I make are baked....on a rack in a Nesco roaster oven, 360* for 18 minutes. Nice and juicy...not dried out pucks. If doing venison, this really makes a difference. limit baking time to about 14 minutes and finish on a hot (700*) grill about a minute on each side should you wish to add a bit of the grill look/taste.

I prefer 80% lean...but never more 85% when using beef. Fat=flavor!!!

And personal preference dictates mixing in a pack of onion soup mix , shredded cheddar, and a few strips of bacon (that has been half cooked and cut into small pieces...the remained of the cook occurs in the oven) with 2 pounds of meat.

I've been told they are pretty good.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

That looks awesome Elk !
Waynzee and ruger300 like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 12:16 PM
The Man

I really like Schmidt's potato rolls...Not quite as doughy as some of the others. But, yeah, in general, I'm a fan of the potato roll!
steelhead125 and Waynzee like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 AM
Sage

This is a good simple one with venison burgers. Gonna try it with elk burger soon:

In a large bowl, combine finely chopped green onions, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning. Add 1 lb meat mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into patties & throw on the grill. Top with cheese if you like cheeseburgers.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Cooked some the other day on the Webber Kettle and they turned out really good. I think a big key for me this time was using a measuring cup to form the patties. Gave the burgers a perfect shape and allowed for even cooking. Anyhow I put a dash of liquid smoke on each one and seasoned them with salt, pepper and a little garlic salt. Got the grill really hot and used a griddle. As the pools of grease started to puddle around the burger I was spooning the grease on the burger. Added American cheese until melted and pulled them.
Turned out perfect. My only issue is I feel I lucked out with the timing. Wasn’t 100% sure if they were completely cooked through but they were. Need a system to insure I don’t pull them too soon.
SlickShot, Waynzee and ruger300 like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 05-28-2020 at 08:17 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use the hickory liquid smoke too. I also throw a little Montreal Steak seasoning in on. Also like the 80/20 mix on the burger.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:28 AM

We add a little Sweet Baby Rays, garlic-pepper seasoning (similar to Montreal seasoning ), a little salt, some garlic powder and more pepper, ..we do our deer burgers the same way.....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page