some warm-up food - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By FullandFuller

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

some warm-up food

I got cold out there this afternoon...leftover shoulder roast and potato cakes was good, but I needed more to warm me up...this is from the first batch of scrapple I made in December. It was made with the rump bones, leg bones, and shoulder blades. It came out pretty good for a first try. There is no pork so it is not greasy at all and likes a little butter touched on the pan. Really easy to store in freezer with a vacuum sealer.

The second batch from my buck is even better - I used the whole backbone, stripped neck, cut ribs, shoulder blades, and the front shin bones that I don't like giving to the dogs. The rump roasts went to a friend so those bones didn't make it. The backbone and ribs typically go in the trash so using them was nice, and I was able to keep six good dog bones. A very full 23qt canner load plus 3 qts of water, cooked at 15psi for about 100 minutes made enough meat and broth to make over 20 lb of finished scrapple. Just let it cool a bit and it is easy to strip the scrap off. Run the scrap through a food processor in small batches with some of the broth to smooth it out. After heating for a half hour, I added salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, flour, and cornmeal. Plus a little allspice. When almost ready, I added some blender-ed oatmeal to finish up the thickening. This adds a little sweetness I think and really thickens it up nicely compared to just flour and cornmeal.

I do swing both ways when eating scrapple...maple syrup on most of it and a bit a ketchup on the edge of the plate.

Edit: I totally forgot I put the liver and heart in the 2nd run. That was boiled before the food processor. I couldn't figure how I got 20 lb just from the scrap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (179.5 KB, 18 views)
OAWC and mike3888 like this.

Last edited by FullandFuller; 01-25-2020 at 11:06 PM. Reason: liver/heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:26 AM
The Man

looks delicious FullandFuller ,and easy to make. enjoy it. my dad likes the regular scrapple [ not from deer] with maple syrup .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page