Smoking neck roast - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Smoking neck roast

Brother in law has a smoker but we have never done a neck roast. I have a 2# part of neck. I know its tough and needs a long cook time but dont want it dried out. Plan on a on using it for tacos or fajitas or shredded on a roll. Plan to smoke around 225*for 5 hrs to 120* internal then in covered pan with beef broth for another 4-5 hrs. Will this plan work and not smoke too much and still be moist and pull apart?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would not smoke a neck thinking it would dry out. I love a neck roast and always cook it in a crock pot. The tendons and fat break down to provide easy eating.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:20 PM

I've never tried a neck but based on experiences with shoulder, I think you're on the right track. 5 hours for the initial smoke seems like a lot depending how thick it is. I would maybe back off on the initial smoke to just an hour or two before you start braising it. It's hard to put a time on anything bbq I would just keep probing it until it is your desired level of tender/falling apart.

Last edited by elk yinzer; 01-23-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

never smoked any meat , but the crock pot idea sounds good.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Neck is what my buddy gave me to smoke, it's only a 2# piece, don't want to ruin it. I will stop smoking after 2 hours and then baste it in a covered pan for the duration.Also plan on smoking a hind roast as well. That should only take a few hours for smoke and to cook. Buddy has some salmon and trout from Salmon river he wants me to smoke for him. BIL has done that many times.
Crock pot is a lot easier but smoking gives so much more flavor. Also looking at those sous vede immersion cooking things.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:22 PM
Part of the Community

Your plan to smoke until 120 internal temp is OK. Once wrapped I would cook until 195 then let rest for about 20 min. (temp should rise to around 205 while resting). At 200-205 the meat should shred easily. I would watch meat temps and not get caught up in time limits (hours). The good thing is, if slightly over cooked you can add a sauce to moisten.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat18 View Post
Your plan to smoke until 120 internal temp is OK. Once wrapped I would cook until 195 then let rest for about 20 min. (temp should rise to around 205 while resting). At 200-205 the meat should shred easily. I would watch meat temps and not get caught up in time limits (hours). The good thing is, if slightly over cooked you can add a sauce to moisten.
This sounds like a good plan.
My only concern, is there enough fat to keep it moist.
Please let us know how it turns out.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat18 View Post
I would think a covered pan with beef stock after getting to 120* would keep it moist until falling apart. You suggest wrapping to finish? Since its a very small roast could you estimate remaining time? 2 hrs , 8 hrs? Planning all day sat smoking different meat so neck is starting first.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One thing about a neck roast is that it let's you know when it's done. One minute it's still kind of rubbery, then next, it's easily pulled apart. If you have to fight with it, it's not done.
I've only ever done them in a crook pot and that usually is an all day cook, but that's with a big roast.

Smoking it sounds great! A neck roast is a real treat for me....love it!!!

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I would smoke it with internal temp no less then 120 no more then 130 to 140! Neck roast won't take long about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hrs. Then let it rest for 10 min. before you start cutting. Never over cook deer meat way way to lean. A good meat thermometer is your best friend when smoking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page