Tonight's culinary adventure - Venison Pastrami - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By bownut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Tonight's culinary adventure - Venison Pastrami

I wanted to try this recipe so that's why I really wanted to fill a doe tag the other week.

https://honest-food.net/venison-pastrami-recipe/

I deboned a hind quarter and separated and trimmed the individual muscle groups. The bigger, nicer cuts were made into pastrami. The stringy cuts I made into corned deer, which I had yesterday and it also turned out great.

I followed the recipe, with the exception of letting it dry in the fridge. I was too antsy to wait. I wanted Reubens tonight! Here is the meat going on the smoker. I again used the Amazen smoker to give it a bit more smoke. The GMG pellet smoker doesn't give a heavy enough smoke for some things. I set the smoker at 185į and put it in at 4PM.

I smoked the meat until the internal temp got to 145į. It took about 2.5 hours. Here it is sliced. Had to sample it, tastes good!

My wife fired up the cast iron pan and made a couple nice Reubens, with Rye bread, swiss cheese, thousand island dressing and sauerkraut. OMG is it good! I had to make another half sandwich!

Paired it with some baked sweet potato fries. Screw the diet. Notice the "fine China".

I hope to fill my last tag, or perhaps mom will and will definitely be making this again! Also, the notes in the recipe say you can use goose breast. Might have to go goose hunting here in the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 08:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

looks real good and tasty . enjoy it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thatís funny, Iím making the same exact thing! Same site and all...how long did you soak it in the brine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:16 AM
JDS
New Arrival

Sounds and looks great!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckFever1013 View Post
Thatís funny, Iím making the same exact thing! Same site and all...how long did you soak it in the brine?

the pastrami is a dry rub/cure, no brine. I did it 4 days, I think, needed more. Notice the grey spot in the middle that's not quite cured thru.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 11:22 PM
Part of the Community

I have made the Cabelas Pastrami recipe quite a few times now. It uses tenderquick. I will have to try this one next time. I like the in-depth instructions for salt and cure amounts. For the tenderquick version, 4 days seems short. I usually go 7-10. For the most part, that is long enough, but some pieces just seem to be too thick. I have wanted to add more/re-rub after 5 days to see if that makes a difference but have not remembered to do so yet. Making sure the silverskin is removed is important as the rubbed cure won't penetrate as deeply at those spots.

Now I'm hungry for some Reubens but it will be Boyertown Inn Russian dressing in this house!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 11:50 PM

Really!!!!

Who puts Thousand Island on a Reuben?!?!?!🤮

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in