Corned venison - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Corned venison

Just made some corned venison out of a doe hindquarter, muscles separated and trimmed up. I used the recipe in the link below. Turned out exceptionally well! Couldn't be much simpler. After corning in the brine all week, I simply rinsed it off, threw it in the crock pot yesterday morning, covered with water. About noon I threw in half a head of cabbage and some taters. Added a little black pepper at the table. Yum!

https://honest-food.net/corned-venison-recipe/

Next on the list is Pastrami. It's in the fridge curing now. I already make my own chipped deer with tenderquick and smoke. Pastrami isn't much different, just a pinch of nitrates and other spices added.
Loggy, Whaler and ruger300 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Don't care much for corned meat but I do like pastrami & dried beef made from deer. Have done both several time, always comes out great. Even made deer heart pastrami twice. A few people said they didn't like heart but it was good. Good luck with your pastrami.

4B Cumberland Co.
4A Bedford Co.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage

Sounds Yummy!! I always make a batch of corned beef/cabbage on St Paddy's Day. Will have to try with venison!
JJ4D likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Part of the Community

Do you guys care to share your methods for making dried/chipped venison? I process everything pretty much myself except or the dried venison. I take it to a local butcher to have it done and it is really good but I would like to do it myself.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpcatcher View Post
Do you guys care to share your methods for making dried/chipped venison? I process everything pretty much myself except or the dried venison. I take it to a local butcher to have it done and it is really good but I would like to do it myself.

Chipped venison is about the easiest thing in the world to make. I'll never take to a butcher again. The recipe I use is:

1 Heaping Tablespoon of Morton's Tenderquick per pound of meat. I like to debone and separate all the hind quarter muscles, trim out the fat/arteries. It makes it easier to handle and cures quicker/better.

Weigh the meat, put in a plastic zip lock gallon bag, dump in the required TQ and massage around/coat the meat thoroughly. Put the bag in the fridge for 14 days. Flip bag and massage the cure into the meat every day. After 14 days, remove the meat and rinse/soak to remove excess TQ. Smoke on the smoker (or you could bake in oven) for 2-3 hours at 250 for chipped deer. I don't even check internal temp anymore, but it's probably about 140 at that point. I don't do dried deer, which is basically the same thing as chipped, just smoked longer until it dries out more. I like mine more juicy, like lunch meat consistency.

Slice thinly, bag and freeze.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Administrator

To corn venison simply means to soak it in brine.

For 25Lbs of venison
5 Quarts of cold water
8 Oz.s Salt
3 Oz.s #1 Nitrite Cure

Put a new trash can liner in whatever container you're using to corn the meat. Put the meat in there. Mix up the water, salt, and cure. Pour the brine over the meat. Close the container and put it somewhere 38-40 degrees for 5-6 days. Pickling spices can be added when the corned meat is to be cooked.

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

[QUOTE=bownut;3697547]Chipped venison is about the easiest thing in the world to make. I'll never take to a butcher again. The recipe I use is:

1 Heaping Tablespoon of Morton's Tenderquick per pound of meat. I like to debone and separate all the hind quarter muscles, trim out the fat/arteries. It makes it easier to handle and cures quicker/better.

Weigh the meat, put in a plastic zip lock gallon bag, dump in the required TQ and massage around/coat the meat thoroughly. Put the bag in the fridge for 14 days. Flip bag and massage the cure into the meat every day. After 14 days, remove the meat and rinse/soak to remove excess TQ. Smoke on the smoker (or you could bake in oven) for 2-3 hours at 250 for chipped deer. I don't even check internal temp anymore, but it's probably about 140 at that point. I don't do dried deer, which is basically the same thing as chipped, just smoked longer until it dries out more. I like mine more juicy, like lunch meat consistency.

Pretty much what I do expect I add 1 tsp. brown sugar per # with the TQ. Plus I like mine dried out more. Take IT to 158 them when done smoking put back in frig for a week to keep drying more.

4B Cumberland Co.
4A Bedford Co.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Did ya make the pastrami yet? Im going to give it a shot soon.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sorry, just same your next post about it! Thanks!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:47 AM

I make this with a simple recipe using garlic salt, black pepper, pickling spice, and curing salt. I finish mine by boiling only, and then cook in crock pot with kraut to make Rubens. I was always told pastrami is smoked corned beef, so corned venison isn't smoke and pastrami is, that's just what I have always heard.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in