Maiden voyage into Sous Vide - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Maiden voyage into Sous Vide

Elk roast, hit the water at 6 this morning it should be ready for dinner. If it isn't a disaster I will post the finished product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

A little over done but delicious, next one will be better.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
loridr likes this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 11-24-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:09 PM

It was that "done" at 125degs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks interesting, I had to google it to see what it was.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:20 PM
The Man

A great appliance for cooking roasts (and other cuts) is a Nesco roaster oven. Lets you dial in the temp, and the heat source is from the sides, not the bottom. Allows for an even cook, the meat never touches the heat! I like to do a 3 lb roast about 4 hrs @225*.

Yours looks good...did you cook in bag to retain juices?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Part of the Community

It looks like it it's medium-well. How long did you sear each side? Also, you used a ziplock bag, moisture escapes those. You need to vacuum seal the bag to lock in all the moisture.

Lower the temp to 122 degrees the next time.

Last edited by PAtradarcher; 11-24-2019 at 08:55 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I uses a vacuum ziplock. Pumped the air out. I seared it on my gas grill fr about 5 minutes a side and cooked it at 125 for 12 hours. I will cut back on the heat next time . It was delicious and not dry. I salted and peppered it the night before and put it in the bag and pumped out the air, It went into the water at 6am next morning. It will be a learning process for me. I had been thinking abut buying a machine for a while, your post got me moving on it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've seen these things turn the toughest of steaks into a fantastic meal. You simply cannot overcook them in the bag...it will get to the desired set temp, and not go any higher...or lower...any overcooking is done post removal from the bag, and even then, it's still going to be a tender cut.

I've also used one to brew 5 gallons of beer, but that's a topic for another thread someday.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I uses a vacuum ziplock. Pumped the air out. I seared it on my gas grill fr about 5 minutes a side and cooked it at 125 for 12 hours. I will cut back on the heat next time . It was delicious and not dry. I salted and peppered it the night before and put it in the bag and pumped out the air, It went into the water at 6am next morning. It will be a learning process for me. I had been thinking abut buying a machine for a while, your post got me moving on it.
The meat was 125 degrees (Rare) when you took it out of the sous vide. You then did the sear at 5 minutes a side (times 4 sides)in a skillet on high heat. That is an additional 20 minutes of cooking. That probably brought the internal temperature to the 150 degree mark (Medium-well). Next time, do the sous vide at 120 to 122 degree (Rare). Then sear all four sides for a minute to a minute and 15 seconds each
. That will be enough to brown the outside & it should bring the internal temperature to the 128 to 130 degree mark (Medium rare).
Marcus99 likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtradarcher View Post
The meat was 125 degrees (Rare) when you took it out of the sous vide. You then did the sear at 5 minutes a side (times 4 sides)in a skillet on high heat. That is an additional 20 minutes of cooking. That probably brought the internal temperature to the 150 degree mark (Medium-well). Next time, do the sous vide at 120 to 122 degree (Rare). Then sear all four sides for a minute to a minute and 15 seconds each
. That will be enough to brown the outside & it should bring the internal temperature to the 128 to 130 degree mark (Medium rare).
Yeah, I agree, I used the grill because I didn't want to smoke up the house by searing on the stove. I don't know why I didn't thnk abut using the grill with a skillet to do it. This will be a learning curve fr me, I can grill a thick steak and know when it is at the point I want it by touching it. This is new to me but it will be fun to learn something new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page