Venison - what to make? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Venison - what to make?

Trying to find something different to make with some vension. We already make jerky, sweet bologna, canned meat, breakfast sausage and steaks. We don't like things overly spicey. My wife likes vension but prefers beef when it comes to ground meat and burgers and such. What else do you guys make with venison?

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just made pepper steak the other day...green and red bell peppers and onions, over rice...it’s really good
Old 08-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Sage

I prefer as many roasts as possible. Great for many slow cooker recipes.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 10:47 AM

I like to corn some hams and make pastrami as well... Always a hit, venison ruebens, yum!
JJ4D and Waynzee like this.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:52 AM

Got a slicer? Sous vide or bake until internal temp is 130-135. Put in fridge overnight. Slice thin, put in crockpot with onion soup mix. serve warm on bun with horseradish. Disappears fast.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
Old 08-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Part of the Community

I chop mine up to chopped onion size then cook it in the cast iron (with my taco seasoning) and make tacos or taco salads. I also use ground venison mixed 50/50 with ground pork loin to make meatballs/meatloaf. With just the wife and I we need 3-4 deer a year just to cover what we would use beef for.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckFever101 View Post
Trying to find something different to make with some vension. We already make jerky, sweet bologna, canned meat, breakfast sausage and steaks. We don't like things overly spicey. My wife likes vension but prefers beef when it comes to ground meat and burgers and such. What else do you guys make with venison?
If you like dry beef have some of that made. I actually have dry beef(venison) made every year from the hind quarters, my wife far prefers it over the real McCoy. I make dry beef in white gravy over biscuits and over raw fried potatoes. Can't beet it with a stick. I have the big and small fillets pulled out and have sausage and or burger made from the rest.
JJ4D and Wingatchtochwilsit like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
If you like dry beef have some of that made. I actually have dry beef(venison) made every year from the hind quarters, my wife far prefers it over the real McCoy. I make dry beef in white gravy over biscuits and over raw fried potatoes. Can't beet it with a stick. I have the big and small fillets pulled out and have sausage and or burger made from the rest.
Can't beat some good venison SOS!!!

Previously JJ5C
Old 08-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage

Buckfever, ground venison make much better Chili than beef in my opinion. I also make steak sandwiches from venison slices as thin as you can get it while it is frozen.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:50 AM
Administrator

If you got a couple of steaks that are too tough for anything but the grinder I'll take 'em. I'll brown 'em up in the ten inch fry pan and then add a couple of cans of mushroom soup and one can of water. Ill set the heat real low so that soup just bubbles once in awhile and let 'em cook like that for an hour to an hour and a half. That soup is gonna mix with the juices from the steaks and thicken to make a gravy that gets served over rice. This recipe also works on bear, boar, beef, cheap porkchops, and slabs of turkey breast. The long cooking process tenderizes the meat.
Buckeroo likes this.

MAGA 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in