• 2 Post By Woods walker
  • 2 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By Whaler
  • 1 Post By Loggy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Smoked Trout brine

Hey fellas, anybody have a special brine they use for trout before ya smoke them. I use a salt, sugar, garlic and bay leaf in water brine nothing great but it comes out pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Brown sugar, kosher salt and water. Then, after they air dry, brush the filet with real maple syrup a couple times during the smoking.
Loggy, BigJob and Waynzee like this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Hey fellas, anybody have a special brine they use for trout before ya smoke them. I use a salt, sugar, garlic and bay leaf in water brine nothing great but it comes out pretty good.
For salmon, I use kosher salt brown sugar and a little course ground black pepper in the water and brine it for 12 hours, Then I put it on a rck on the table and let dry till it gets the shiny finish, I help it a little by putting it under the ceiling fan at low speed. I also baste every 15 minutes when smoking with real maple syrup. I never ate any better I can give you the measurements for the brine it you like.
mgp629 and Waynzee like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
For salmon, I use kosher salt brown sugar and a little course ground black pepper in the water and brine it for 12 hours, Then I put it on a rck on the table and let dry till it gets the shiny finish, I help it a little by putting it under the ceiling fan at low speed. I also baste every 15 minutes when smoking with real maple syrup. I never ate any better I can give you the measurements for the brine it you like.
Yeah I would like the measurements, Thanks. When I used to fish the Salmon River in Pulaski NY there was a Bar in Altimar that would have smoked salmon and it had a smokey sweet taste to it that was really good and I wonder if this isn't about the same recipe.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Sage

Waynezee, brine recipe as follows. 1 qt cold water
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
I also put a little fresh course ground black pepper in the brine
optional, 1.2 cup birch or maple syrup. (I have not used the syrup in my brine yet)

Mix brine ingredients together well and put fish fillets in a none reactive container,( if they have skin place skin side down) that will allow it to lay flat, pour the brine over the fish. If the brine doesn't cover the fish mix another batch. The fish should be covered and not touching each other. How long you brine depends on the thickness of the fillets but in any case a minimum of 4 hours in the fridge. [B](I like thick large skin on fillets, preferably King if you can find it.) The thicker the salmon the longer the brine process. ( I brine for 8 to 12 hours). When you are done brining pat the fillets dry and place on a rack and dry for 2 to 4 hours until they develop a shiny skin, if you have a ceiling fan, beneath it is an ideal place to dry the fillets.
Smoking

(I have an electric Bradley digital smoker and I can control the temp pretty well. The smoking recipe I use calls for slowly increasing temperatures. It takes 4 hours. Start at 120 degrees for 2 hours, then increase to 140 for an hour and finish at 175 for the final hour. It is important not to smoke at too hot a temp or you will develop a lot of white albumin bleed on the meat. Always put water in the drip pan to keep the temp down if you still have trouble put some ice cubes in the pan with the water. After the first hour in the smoke, start basting your fish with the pure maple syrup or Birch syrup, I bast about every 15 minutes. The basting will also remove the white albumin from the fish if it forms, it usually does. When done, place your fish on a rack until cool, at least an hour and then refrigerate. Of course you can use your own smoking recipe if you want, I just put mine down with the brine recipe.)
BigJob and Waynzee like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Waynezee, brine recipe as follows. 1 qt cold water
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
I also put a little fresh course ground black pepper in the brine
optional, 1.2 cup birch or maple syrup. (I have not used the syrup in my brine yet)

Mix brine ingredients together well and put fish fillets in a none reactive container,( if they have skin place skin side down) that will allow it to lay flat, pour the brine over the fish. If the brine doesn't cover the fish mix another batch. The fish should be covered and not touching each other. How long you brine depends on the thickness of the fillets but in any case a minimum of 4 hours in the fridge. [B](I like thick large skin on fillets, preferably King if you can find it.) The thicker the salmon the longer the brine process. ( I brine for 8 to 12 hours). When you are done brining pat the fillets dry and place on a rack and dry for 2 to 4 hours until they develop a shiny skin, if you have a ceiling fan, beneath it is an ideal place to dry the fillets.
Smoking

(I have an electric Bradley digital smoker and I can control the temp pretty well. The smoking recipe I use calls for slowly increasing temperatures. It takes 4 hours. Start at 120 degrees for 2 hours, then increase to 140 for an hour and finish at 175 for the final hour. It is important not to smoke at too hot a temp or you will develop a lot of white albumin bleed on the meat. Always put water in the drip pan to keep the temp down if you still have trouble put some ice cubes in the pan with the water. After the first hour in the smoke, start basting your fish with the pure maple syrup or Birch syrup, I bast about every 15 minutes. The basting will also remove the white albumin from the fish if it forms, it usually does. When done, place your fish on a rack until cool, at least an hour and then refrigerate. Of course you can use your own smoking recipe if you want, I just put mine down with the brine recipe.)
This sounds pretty good and should work well with trout, the fillets will be thinner so the brine time will be less. Other than that I like that idea of putting Maple or Birch syrup on the fish as they smoke.
I printed this out and as soon as get some fresh trout I'll give it a try and let ya know how it turned out. Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage

Yes, please let me know.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 PM

I do it a little differently. Butterfly the trout so they lay flat. Rub the flesh side with a mixture of brown sugar and kosher salt. Put about 8-9 in a gallon ziplock then cover in a marinade of soy sauce, teriyaki and a few good splashes of liquid smoke. I let it marinate 2-3 days. Then smoke at 200 degrees for ~ 3hours. I love these thing with a bagel and cream cheese.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoke.jpg (1.66 MB, 3 views)
Waynzee likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Sage

They tell me even carp if brined hard & smoked is edible. I'm pretty much only eating saltwater fish and freshwater walleyes, channels & panfish(litely salt/peppered), iron skillet fried or broiled.
Waynzee likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
I do it a little differently. Butterfly the trout so they lay flat. Rub the flesh side with a mixture of brown sugar and kosher salt. Put about 8-9 in a gallon ziplock then cover in a marinade of soy sauce, teriyaki and a few good splashes of liquid smoke. I let it marinate 2-3 days. Then smoke at 200 degrees for ~ 3hours. I love these thing with a bagel and cream cheese.
I like the looks of those. Are you deboning or just splitting them?
I have been doing the smaller trout whole and chunk up the big ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in