venison burger jerky problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

venison burger jerky problems

how do you guys do it ? i prefer jerky made from the muscle and not ground. my son has a lot of left over deer burger and we decided to make ground meat jerky. got the jerky gun, got the seasoning and cure.

mixed it with 5 lbs of burger placed it on the oven racks with tin foil with slits cut in the foil and dried it in the oven. started at 200 with the door closed for 30 minutes, the propped the door open a little for another 30 minutes, still soft and flexible. so...we kept checking it every 30 minutes. when it was finally hard like jerky, it just crumbles and isnt right. suppose to be teriyaki flavor, i dont know what it is.

what did we do wrong ? dried it to long ? not enough water in the mix ? (it said to use 3/4 cup for 5 lbs burger) or to much fat in the burger mix to begin with ?

can i take the raw unused burger thats already mixed with the jerky seasoning and make burger patties out of it ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:07 PM
Part of the Community

Did you use a jerky mix that was for muscle meat and not ground meat? Sounds like there was no binder in the mix. I have been doing burger jerky for years and never had a problem. Maybe too high of a temp in the oven? 200 may have been higher than that. Oven temps are hard to control at low settings. I do mine in a dehydrator, never tried it in the oven.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 PM

You need to pull it out before it gets hard. It will stiffen up as it cools
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Bohunr how much total time did you dry it? I don't think you can add too much water but you can add too little. If you dried it till it was hard you over dried it. I would moisten up the net batch and be very careful with the time you dry, like 2 hours, 2.5 max. It will be shrunk up when it is cooked, but still has to stay flexible or it will crumble as you say.

I make my own recipe ground jerky and use no cure in mine. I always double grind the meat, it will flow better thru the gun and double ground makes a better finished product in my opinion. I dry mine at 155F which is the max setting in my dehydrator and it takes about 3 hours to dry 5-6 lbs.

You surely could make burgers from what is left, cured or not, if you followed the directions it won't hurt you.
bohunr likes this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Deer jerky should be flexible and chewy. You over cook it
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

i used a store bought mix and followed the directions on the back for ground meat. it has directions for using an oven or dehydrator. i never did burger jerky before and am guessing i over did it. it was in the oven about 3 hours, maybe 3.5 all at 200 degrees with the door propped open a little bit.

i used the oven rack covered with tin foil. would it be better if i use the screen type racks if i can find them ?

the directions said to turn the jerky over about half way thru but when i tried to turn it, it just fell apart.

do you turn yours ? i think mine crumbled and fell apart because of the fat content in the burger. this is left over burger that had already been ground and mixed from the processor.

just have to try another batch. live and learn.

Last edited by bohunr; 12-21-2018 at 10:03 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:58 AM

I think I read somewhere about putting it on something like a cookie cooling tray. When we bake chicken in the oven with some of our favorite coatings we cook it on these trays. It helps keep the entire thing crisp and not have that soggy side from resting on a pan. You may not need to turn it if you use them. I have never made jerky but plan on it after New Years.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would definitely pick up a cheap dehydrator. I've never seen good results from an oven, I just think it's too hot and cooks more than dehydrates. The value of the meat in my opinion is worth the money so as not to waste it. It can still be temperamental and I usually end up with some crunchy parts but if you are diligent at flipping and rotating and pulling off when they're still flexible you'll do much better. Also, did this mixture involve curing? Whenever I do this it takes a couple days curing in the fridge and it comes out like a giant block of purple meat. It definitely adds to the taste and texture.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

the cure came with it. the directions didnt say anything about leaving it sit after mixing everything together.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Check out this site:

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threa...recipes.50639/

There's a little more information on the process and the multiple recipes give you an idea of how to tinker with the ingredients and what kind of proportions of cure and liquid. I've used a few of the recipes with good results and I just used regular salt instead of canning salt. I highly recommend the two day curing process.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page