I just halved my time at the grinder! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I just halved my time at the grinder!

So....running the meat grinder has always been a chore.

I have a 1/2HP Cabela's Commercial Grade #8. Not a monster, but not a super lightweight, either.

I've always "known" you have to grind through a coarse grind first, then do a finer grind to finish. So...all of it goes through the grinder twice.

And....the second grind always, ALWAYS, takes longer. It's just tedious. Lots of work with the masher, pushing meat into the auger, needing to press it fairly firmly to keep it feeding, etc.

After some googling, I decided to try taking the boned meat straight into the fine grind plate and skip the first/coarse grind.

If anything, it went through that faster than the coarse plate, and I was done in almost no time. If anything, I cut my time at the grinder by more than half. Seemed to just fly through the grinder and came out looking just fine.

So...just a tip to try for those who grind their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
So....running the meat grinder has always been a chore.

I have a 1/2HP Cabela's Commercial Grade #8. Not a monster, but not a super lightweight, either.

I've always "known" you have to grind through a coarse grind first, then do a finer grind to finish. So...all of it goes through the grinder twice.

And....the second grind always, ALWAYS, takes longer. It's just tedious. Lots of work with the masher, pushing meat into the auger, needing to press it fairly firmly to keep it feeding, etc.

After some googling, I decided to try taking the boned meat straight into the fine grind plate and skip the first/coarse grind.

If anything, it went through that faster than the coarse plate, and I was done in almost no time. If anything, I cut my time at the grinder by more than half. Seemed to just fly through the grinder and came out looking just fine.

So...just a tip to try for those who grind their own.
Good advice. I always just grind mine once. The key is to have a sharp knife and plate. I also save time since I now have a ground meat packaging system where it has a funnel to put the meat right into the bags directly from the grinder. It is quick and easy for burger. If you go that route make sure to get a foot pedal to control the grinder.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I learned that pretty fast myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Good advice. I always just grind mine once. The key is to have a sharp knife and plate. I also save time since I now have a ground meat packaging system where it has a funnel to put the meat right into the bags directly from the grinder. It is quick and easy for burger. If you go that route make sure to get a foot pedal to control the grinder.
Yep. Got the foot pedal early in my grinding experience, lol.

What funnel set up did you get?

Iíve often thought of grinding straight into sealer bags. As of now, I grind it all into a big meat lug and then we weigh it out into sealer bags and seal it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use the ground meat bags from LEM. It came with the funnel for the bags, some bags to get started and I think the taping machine also. They have bags for 1# and 2 # of meat. Works awesome!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic93 View Post
I use the ground meat bags from LEM. It came with the funnel for the bags, some bags to get started and I think the taping machine also. They have bags for 1# and 2 # of meat. Works awesome!
That is exactly what I have and it had everything. Simply fill the bag twist the top and drop it thru the tape machine to seal. Takes a few times to learn how to hold the bag so that you don't get air pockets in it, but it is pretty simple. Best thing we have found is to have 2 people. 1 person works the control and feeds the meat into the grinder. The second person holds the bag and does the tape. That way the 2nd person doesn't have meat on their fingers and the bags stay clean. Once you get onto it, it goes really fast. I also like how you have the same amount of meat in every bag.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Weíre pretty committed to vacuum sealing, but Iíd imagine the same principle can apply. Just need a funnel.

I have a digital kitchen scale.

Grind into a FS bag sitting on the scale and stop at the weight desired.

It goes quick with my indentured serv..... er.... kids helping bag the meat and my wife sealing the filled bags, though. So maybe Iím overthinking an issue that isnít an issue...? Lol. Wouldnít be the first time I did that.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:07 AM

I add my own beef and pork trimmings to deer when I grind so what I do is debone and cube the meat, I cube the fat into small piece to more even distribute it throughout the meat, and then I put them all in my chest freezer for half an hour to 45 minutes, just so they get a bit crunchy and hard. It makes the grinding so much easier and theres less of a mush at the end.
bobtheblacksmith likes this.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post

Correct. Prior to this season I order both a coarse & fine sharpening system. The cutting knife is sharpened in seconds and the plate just a tad longer. Both the cutting knife & plate dull after use and need to be touched-up.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/Meat-Gr...-p/15-1611.htm
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Every one has there own way but I still like grinding with the course first then with the fine second. Finally I use the power sausage stuffing auger/tube to fill the game bags for freezing. What I tried this year was after the first grind I put the meat in the freezer for 2 hours or so to the point were it is just starting to freeze. Then I ran through the second grind and then again through the grinder into the game bags. Working with nearly frozen meat keeps things from becoming mush and makes it much easier to work with in my opinion. I am also rarely in much rush. I figure on my doe this year I ground ~35-40 lbs of meat. The first/second grind took about 35 minutes of time at the grinder. It took about 40 minutes to run the meat back through the grinder and into the game bags and ready for the freezer. Thats not much time really in my book. I add bacon to my first grind and the second grind helps get everything mixed up well. I am using a 3/4hp grinder and have found that putting the neck/auger plates in the freezer with the meat and spraying everything down a bit of food grade silicone before I start helps keep the meat cool and cuts down on the stuffing tube clogging up.
bigguy54 and bobtheblacksmith like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page