Steak - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Steak

We have a ton of venison steaks in the freezer. We often grill them with onions and mushrooms. We are looking for other recipes or ideas. Can we cube them and make stew for example?
limbhnger10 likes this.

-=Demillo=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 AM

I've cubed and made stew a few times.... turns out real well. I also like to slice the hindquarter steaks out thin and use them to make cheesesteak subs.

I saw a recipe somewhere that I've yet to try, but it's on the list. Basically, they thin-sliced the loin, beat the snot outta it with a tenderizer to flatten it out more, slathered on cream cheese and jalapeños, rolled it up, wrapped it in bacon, pinned it all with toothpicks and slapped it in the grill.

For the most part though, I just season with black pepper and Old Bay and put the whole cut on the grill, then drown it with sautéed mushrooms and onion.
demillo and limbhnger10 like this.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I would canned your extra meat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 AM
The Man

I hardly ever cook steaks. Majority of the time I cube them and make cheesesteaks out of them or put them in a crockpot. Never found the steaks to be that good just cooking them in their entirety. Too much fat and sinew on them.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 12-09-2018 at 08:38 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

We love our steaks grilled with the mushrooms and onions. My wife just said she doesn't want to eat that twice a week (I'm down, lol!). So looking for new ideas. Cheesesteaks sound good

-=Demillo=-
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
I hardly ever cook steaks. Majority of the time I cube them and make cheesesteaks out of them or put them in a crockpot. Never found the steaks to be that good just cooking them in their entirety. Too much fat and sinew on them.

That's why I butcher my own.

I trim up my top round steaks so there is zero silver skin on them and cut them into medallions that look identical to the backstraps. I purposefully put the steaked backstraps and the steaked round in one big bowl and packaged them all together, simply labeling them "steaks".
You absolutely couldn't tell the difference.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Cheese steak subs are awesome, cubing some to put aside for stew is always a good idea and putting some ground aside for chili is a good move also.
Mushroom Soup Steaks are a great way to use steaks that are on the tough side. Brown the steaks in your big fry pan, add one large can of mushroom soup and a half a can of water, turn the heat down to where the soup is just barely bubbling now and then. After aboutan hour to an hour and a half the soup will have cooked down to the pooint where it isa pretty goodgravy served over rice, andthe steaks will be tender.

MAGA 2020
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

I usually can the whole deer. It takes alittle longer to cut up because I try to git all the silver skin off. You can use the meat in just about anything you want to. Sandwiches, spaghetti, stews, make gravy over taters, dang I'm makin myself hungry.....
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Banned

Like Diyasub, I like to make cheese steaks with the steaks. Get some good rolls, slice the steak as thin as you can get it, it works better f you do it while the steaks are frozen, I use a thin Chinese type cleaver to do that and put the slices in a bowl lined with paper towels to completely thaw out, the paper towels soak up the blood. Next in a big skillet saute sweet onion slices until they are soft and translucent in what ever oil you use , I use olive oil, not too much. Then push them to the side of the pan and put your sliced meat in the center of the pan and saute it until done, not too long, it won't take long if it is thin, then mix the onion and meat together, a little salt and pepper to taste. At this point I add some tomato sauce that I have simmered with a little onion powder, garlic powder and a little oregano, just enough to wet all the met and onions, then add the cheese, I use several slices of Provolone, it melt quickly, stir it all together and put in a roll. I don't think you can buy a better cheese steak.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM
The Man

Just took a steak out of the freezer for dinner tonight. Think I am going to make steak and eggs over easy with fried potatoes and green peppers. Always enjoy that meal.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page