sawzall meat/bone blade - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

sawzall meat/bone blade

What blades are you guys using with your sawzall to cut thru meat/bone. Mainly looking to get a blade for when I cut the legs and split the bag legs and chest instead of having to use the hand saw. I was looking for something that wasn't painted or coated so it wouldn't leave behind the color of the blade when using.

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 AM

I have used a Sawzall before ,,but mainly use a hand saw now ,,its faster because on the much longer cut stroke .versus the Sawzall's short stroke ,, never had a issue with paint or coating from the blades ,, I think they where 6 or 8 TPI metal cutting blades ,get longs ones if you do ,,10 inches or so in length
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Just buy a plain unpainted metal cutting blade. I used a white bi-metal blade years ago. Now I use a 20" Disston hand saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use a 12inch thin kerf blade on my sawzall makes quick work on the pelvis and leg joints. i also use it to break down the back bone and rib cages...

for those like me that saw out the skull plate for mounting horns,, it's real slick., you just need to cut the tuff skin to the bone with a knife then buzz it with the saw.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 02:45 PM

I use a 9", 8 tpi carbide tip thick metal blade by Diablo in a cordless saw. To keep from getting hair, skin and scraps up in the shoe I wrap electrical tape at the top of the blade....thus the 9" blade. Makes it easier to clean the saw up when finished.

Last edited by Birch812; 12-08-2018 at 02:47 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:36 PM

What ever blade happens to be in the sawzall is the one I use. I use it to cut off legs, head, split the pelvis, and to cut off a rack.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 PM

As an FYI a circular saw works better than a sawzall for taking the legs off. I prefer a handsaw for cutting the pelvis bone so I can control it better.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 AM

I have an ancient hand meat saw with a new blade. I can split the pelvis and lop off both hind legs in about a minute, maybe less. It would take me longer to get out he recip saw, put a blade in it, plug it in and then try to control it with one hand that it's worth. I know this because I've done it both ways. Now, if I was doing multiple deer at the same time I might feel differently.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Regular Visitor

I got a cordless oscillating saw earlier this year, almost dragged it out for butchering (but didn't). Anyone used that? It seems like that's what surgeons use for bone sawing, so it must be a pretty good choice.

The Old Dutchman
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 AM

For taking the legs off I use loppers for that are used for trimming trees. When its time to cut the pelvis it takes but a few seconds with my 22" bone saw. I guess for the limited cutting needed for each deer it seems like more work to get the power tools out.
JasonN likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page