Smoker Suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Smoker Suggestions

I am thinking Santa may be bringing me a smoker, what suggestions do you guys have, new to smoking meat not to eating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 AM
Sage

Santa will have treated you well if he leaves a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker under your tree!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Part of the Community

First you need to decide what fuel you want to use, electric, gas, pellet, wood/charcoal. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Electric, gas, pellet are easier to control cooking temperatures because of built in thermostats. Wood/charcoal will require more attention in order to gain proper temps, but usually give better products in the end. If using in colder outside temps insulation built into the unit is helpful in controlling cooking temps and fuel usage when using fuels other than wood/charcoal. I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker that does a good job (more like an outside oven) that I use for products with casing. For large chunks of meat (ribs, pork butt ect.) I use a Webber with wood/charcoal.

PM me if you have further questions.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat18 View Post
First you need to decide what fuel you want to use, electric, gas, pellet, wood/charcoal. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Electric, gas, pellet are easier to control cooking temperatures because of built in thermostats. Wood/charcoal will require more attention in order to gain proper temps, but usually give better products in the end. If using in colder outside temps insulation built into the unit is helpful in controlling cooking temps and fuel usage when using fuels other than wood/charcoal. I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker that does a good job (more like an outside oven) that I use for products with casing. For large chunks of meat (ribs, pork butt ect.) I use a Webber with wood/charcoal.

PM me if you have further questions.
Wildcat is dead on about the fuel type. And choosing a fuel type after buying several really comes down to one simple question. Do you want to drink all day and babysit a fire or due you want to set it and forget it. Electric is the way to go on the latter. I have a cookshack electric which is top of the line in my opinion. I also have a green mountain grill davey croket pellet smoker that is pretty much set and forget and it is not overpowering on the smoke. For the die hards, I also have a weber kettle grill which I use to smoke if I want to baby sit the temps all day long.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Banned

I went from a propane smoker, to a Weber Smokey Mt charcoal and I found the temp would not hold and I constantly had to be fiddling with them to keep the heat correct, on a long smoke and cook it was a royal pain. Finally I went to a Bradley electric. It has digital controls, you put the wood biscuits into the tube that holds them,you set the temp, you set the cook time, you set the smoke time pt in whatever you are going to smoke and that is pretty much it, you do have to check your wood from time to time on a long smoke to make sure it doesn't tun out. The wood automatically drops onto the heat unit and is pushed off into a bowl of water by the next one. You can buy just abut any kind of wood biscuits you want for different flavors. No muss, no fuss and a good finished product. You do not have to sit in a chair close to the smoker like I used to have to for hours at a time. I smoked some large King salmon fillets and they were better than you can buy in a store. It all depends on what you want, they all will smoke bar-b-q , if you want convenience I would go with an electric digital control unit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Administrator

I've got the Masterbuilt electric with digital controls, and when I want to cold smoke something I add on the A-Maze-N smoke generator with whatever flavor of pellets or sawdust I feel will result in a good product.

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Sage

Over the past 20 years I had various electric and propane smokers and ended up with the ole charcoal fired Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Do some online research and you most likely will end up where im at without going through disappointments.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Do not buy a Bradley six rack electric smoker! I bought one about five years ago and it was crap out of the box. The temp controller was not accurate(20degrees off), the single 500W element was not capable of providing enough heat to smoke more than one pork butt at a time.
I added some after market mods and it finally performs as desired. I added a second heating element and purchased a PID controller which keeps the temps within 5 degrees of desired. I need this because I want to smoke lots of sausage.
Good luck.
Also looking at other recommendations from folks.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

I like my smoking joe smokers. I use charcoal and wood only I am very old school with it and I smoke stuff all year long from 90 degree summer days, and negatives in the winter. I love the fact that it is never 100% the same it's art (I hate the set it and forget it) that is what is fun for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page