Making Jerky Today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By WexfordBowhunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Making Jerky Today

Making jerky on the gas grill. Some tricks... Use one end burner only on a low setting, hang the strips over the remainder of the rack and not directly above the heat, put foil under the hanging meat to catch the drips, prop the lid open a little to keep the temperature between 150 and 200 degrees. Smellin' good in the neighborhood...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0848.JPG (121.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0849.JPG (96.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0851.JPG (95.7 KB, 18 views)
kudu58, BCozhunter and BigJob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

We had the same thought, I made 20 lb of ring bologna last weekend. Nice to have meat all year, but freezer cleanout time is here.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The gas grill works really well if you can keep the heat low enough. I tried it for the first time some years ago after burning up either the thermostat or heating element (I can't remember which) in our old electric oven. The Mrs. wasn't any too happy about that, so I tried a charcoal smoker and could never get the heat regulated well. I eventually gravitated to the gas grill, and have been making jerky in it for years now. Actually, the grill on the picture is our old grill that I kept just for making jerky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I tried smoked jerky with a borrowed bradley electric years ago..that was mess because it didn't have a proper temp feedback loop, just a dial setting, so outside it was hard to keep the temp proper in the cold and wind. It never tasted great, and those wood pucks were pricey, too. A few years back I got a 10 rack dehydrator and I use that for jerky on the kitchen table, 3-4 lbs of 1/8" thick at a time, after a 1-2 day marinate. That meat gets presliced when fresh and then frozen in 3-4 lb packs. I have a spicy honey one we really like.

I've never used a gas grill much, use charcoal in the summer, but have considered trying gas for smoking since my brother has a few, and at least one with a smoker box. Just hasn't happened. The ring bologna I've actually been doing in the kitchen convection oven and it comes out amazingly well with just liquid smoke, in about 3-4 hours to reach 155f.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 02:30 PM
The Man

Always slice mine when it's half thawed (or half frozen if using freshly killed meat). Alittle easier to slice thin, whether using a slicer of hand slicing.

If you don't have a slicer, and electric carving Knife works well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Always slice mine when it's half thawed (or half frozen if using freshly killed meat). Alittle easier to slice thin, whether using a slicer of hand slicing.

If you don't have a slicer, and electric carving Knife works well.
so true learned that working in a deli slicing for cheese steaks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page