3-2-1- Ribs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes
  • 14 Post By DIYASUB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

3-2-1- Ribs

I got a new smoker and finally had a chance to use it yesterday. I had already picked up a rack of ribs, and when I looked online for a recipe I ran into the 3-2-1 method on just about every website I visited, so I decided to give that a try.
The rack of ribs looked to be about 3" too long so I cut them in half while the unit was pre-heating.
Once the unit reached 250 degrees I put the ribs on two of the wire racks, closed the door, and fed in some hickory chips.
After three hours of smoke it was time to go to the next step.
I took the ribs out of the smoker and wrapped them in foil. Before I closed the foil I showered the ribs with apple juice and poured another half cup of apple juice into each package. After closing them up I put them back in the smoker at that same 250 degree setting for another two hours. The plan was to steam the ribs like that to tenderize them. There was no need for smoke during that part of the process. As a matter of fact, the smoke wouldn't be able to reach the ribs in their foil cocoons anyway.
When that part of the process was finished I took the ribs back out of the smoker, took them out of the foil, and painted them with a heavy coating of Jack Daniels Old No.7 grilling sauce. The steaming process had tenderized them to the point where I had to pick them up with two spatulas to keep them from falling apart when I put them back in the smoker.
The last part of the 3-2-1 process called for one hour in the smoker, and that gave me the time to add more smoke while the grilling sauce I'd put on the ribs cooked down and turned into a glaze.
There are an untold number of variations on the 3-2-1 recipe. Some folks marinate the ribs before cooking them, some use a rub, and of course there are all sorts of coatings you can put on them for the final step, but I wanted to keep this first try as basic as possible, so I stuck to a flavor that I was familiar with and that way I really was testing the process itself.
I wasnt disappointed. The smoke and the grilling sauce gave the ribs a nice dark color and the tenderizing part of the process had the meat falling off the bones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00062.JPG (1.38 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00063.JPG (1.35 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00065.JPG (1.28 MB, 20 views)

MAGA 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Day----ummm!

It's 4:31 am and now I am hungry for ribs.

Thanks buddy.....

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 AM
Banned

I put a dry rub on my ribs before I smoke them, then put the sauce on the table if someone wants to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:13 AM
New Arrival

Prep the night before. Give them a quick light spray with cooking spray and put your rub of choice on and wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for the night. Take them out the next am and let them get to room temp before smoking. I also use the 3-2-1 and it's perfect.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Very NICE
I have a full blown addiction to smoking and grilling meats. I think we should have a sticky or picture section for this so we don't all post pictures on your thread!

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane12 View Post
Prep the night before. Give them a quick light spray with cooking spray and put your rub of choice on and wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for the night. Take them out the next am and let them get to room temp before smoking. I also use the 3-2-1 and it's perfect.
That sounds good but it brings a question to mind.
When I grill fish or fowl I use the oil but not until I've given the rub at least an hour to flavor the meat. I feel like I'm really only putting the oil on to keep the meat from sticking to the grill and if I were to put it on first it would block a lot of the flavor of the rub from entering the meat. What do you think?

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM
The Man

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try this !

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB View Post
That sounds good but it brings a question to mind.
When I grill fish or fowl I use the oil but not until I've given the rub at least an hour to flavor the meat. I feel like I'm really only putting the oil on to keep the meat from sticking to the grill and if I were to put it on first it would block a lot of the flavor of the rub from entering the meat. What do you think?
It actually helps a lot in my experience with keeping the rub on the meat but with fish you may be fine doing what you are. I don't have much experience with fish. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page