Creamed Beef On Toast. Military recipe.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thumbs up Creamed Beef On Toast. Military recipe..

S.O.S. (Creamed Beef On Toast)
(8 servings) Printable Version
1 and 1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teasppon salt
2 teaspoons beef-flavored instant bouillon (about 2 cubes)
3/4 cups nonfat dry milk and 3 cups warm water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
OPTIONAL: 3 and 1/2 cups whole milk can be used to replace dry milk and water
Brown the beef in its own fat in a skillet. Drain excess fat.

Add flour, pepper, salt and bouillon to beef; mix thoroughly and cook about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed.

Reconstitute dry milk (mix with water); add to beef mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce; heat to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.

Serve over hot toast or biscuits.

Each branch of the U.S. Military has a different version of this recipe. It is affectionately referred to by our dogfaces as "Sh*t On A Shingle". S.O.S. made its debut about 1910. The recipe presented here is a home version of that served by the Army circa World War
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

i always looking for recipe's something different to have for dinner. When i go see my dr. they have these magazines with recipe's, there to confusing i like something easy to make. When i read the recipe's has basil, nut meg, grey poupon & others. I don't have that stuff in my cupboards or frig. We don't live a fancy eating lifestyle as i call them holly-wooders. My latest was this past week watching Rachel Ray. It was a simple recipe with pork chops diced up mixed in with cream of mushroom soup over mashed potatoes. It turned out darn good. The wife asked whats this? I had to tell her twice, she usually puts in cooked hamburg in cream of mushroom soup & again it was something different. This sounds good to me an i will surprise my wife once again. Thank you.
uncle buck and BBB like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 PM
The Man

Sounds like a winner ! Substitute some dried chipped venison instead of the ground beef for a wild game version. Delicious either way.
uncle buck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:12 PM

We make it with a lb of sliced dried beef. We have it about once a month for as long as I remember.
uncle buck likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yep some don't remember s on a shingle.
uncle buck likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:57 AM

Sounds good to me.
uncle buck likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Regular Visitor

Good old stick to your stomach meal can't be beat!!!!
uncle buck likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Banned

Creamed Dry beef or dry venison which I prefer

For 2 people. 1/2 lb dry beef torn into about 2 inch by 2 in pieces
Butter, real butter about two table spoons
milk as much as you need to get the thickness you want
black pepper, preferably fresh ground
salt if needed
flour, about 2 table spoons

In a high sided skillet or a wide pot on medium heat, melt the butter, when the butter is melted and hot put in the pieces of dry beef, grind in black pepper, I like a lot, and stir occasionally to make sure it all gets heated and covered in butter. When you can smell the aroma of the dry beef well put in the flour making sure you sprinkle it fairly evenly over the beef. Stir around until all the flour is absorbed in the butter, if you still see liquid butter at a bit more flour. Once the flour is absorbed allow it to cook, stirring at least ones for 2 to 3 minutes to avoid a raw flour taste in the gravy. Then add milk, about a cup at first, stir well and allow it to thicken, when thickened add more milk and stir. I use a rubber spatula, make sure you scrape the sides and bottom of the skillet while you are stirring to prevent the gravy from sticking and burning turn back the heat and allow the dish to simmer and thicken to where you want it to be. I always add a little more pepper at this point after I taste the gravy if I think it needs it and this is the time to add salt if needed. Never salt til the end because there is a lot of salt in dry beef and many times if you add salt early it will be over salted. When the thickness gets to where you want it it is time to serve. I serve over biscuits or raw fried potatoes and usually throw an egg or two over easy on top.

Many people make the white flour and butter gravy and then toss in the dry beef, believe me, by sauteing the dry beef first and then working in the flour and then the milk you will get much more flavor in the dish and will never go back to making the gravy first instead of last.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
I'm going to try that one, Woods walker. Looks to make the right amount for those in my house who will eat it, which is probably only me. My wife and kids are pickier than cats!
We used to eat SOS (chipped beef) often when I was young. I grew up with 9 siblings, so the only recipes I have from my mom and dad are for large quantities. Heck, I didn't know how to peel any less than a five pound sack of potatoes (and that was after some of my older siblings moved out already). Which I used to have to do often when I came home from school.
uncle buck likes this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.

Last edited by BCozhunter; 03-19-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's pretty much the way I make it Woods Walker... Maybe a little lighter on the pepper LOL.... Guess I'll be going to the Farmers Market this weekend.
uncle buck likes this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page