small game pot pie/stew recipes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

small game pot pie/stew recipes

Anybody have any small game recipes for stew or pot pies? Searched the site and not much out there
Got some squirrels Saturday and going out the last week or so to add to the freezer,want to add whatever else is in there too. Was going to try thr crockpot and let the meat braise then add veg stock ,potatoes, carrots ,onion, garlic,red wine . Whats your favorite?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

rabbit, squirrel or deer. brown in butter in the skillet, take the meat off the bones and put into a casserole dish with cream of mushroom soup, milk, onion, potatoes ect. and bake at 350 until the potatoes are done.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

Wald, my favorite way to eat squirrels, as well as rabbits is as follows. Separate them into six pieced, the legs and the back cut in half with the ribs removed. In a pot of salted water add 3 carrots cut in half, two pieces of celery cut in half, a medium onion cut in half and a table spoon of black pepper corns and the meat. Bring to boil and cut back to simmer. Simmer until a large cooking fork passes easily through the thigh, then remove from the pot and lay on paper towels. While the meat is simmering a froth will appear on top, skim it off every time it appears. Now take a bowl and put in flour, salt and pepper according to your taste. In a skillet put some bacon fat, I save it once hunting season starts and keep it in the fridge, and some butter and heat the skillet. Dredge the meat in the flour and put in the skillet and fry until brown on both sides. You don't have to do more than get it a nice chestnut brown because it is already done. Then serve. It will be white and moist inside with a nice tasty crisp crust. I usually serve with mashed potatoes. I have just made myself hungry.

Last edited by Woods walker; 02-12-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Wald, my favorite way to eat squirrels, as well as rabbits is as follows. Separate them into six pieced, the legs and the back cut in half with the ribs removed. In a pot of salted water add 3 carrots cut in half, two pieces of celery cut in half, a medium onion cut in half and a table spoon of black pepper corns and the meat. Bring to boil and cut back to simmer. Simmer until a large cooking fork passes easily through the thigh, then remove from the pot and lay on paper towels. While the meat is simmering a froth will appear on top, skim it off every time it appears. Now take a bowel and put in flour, salt and pepper according to your taste. In a skillet put some bacon fat, I save it once hunting season starts and keep it in the fridge, and some butter and heat the skillet. Dredge the meat in the flour and put in the skillet and fry until brown on both sides. You don't have to do more than get it a nice chestnut brown because it is already done. Then serve. It will be white and moist inside with a nice tasty crisp crust. I usually serve with mashed potatoes. I have just made myself hungry.
Wouldn't it be easier to use a bowl? Sounds good otherwise, Thanks

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:31 PM
New Arrival

Squirrel Potpie

6 - 12 squirrels cut into pieces
2 onions
1 celery stalk
salt and pepper
4 cups flour
shortening the size of two hens eggs
2 eggs
1 cup milk

To prepare potpie dough (can be prepared when squirrel isabout done):

In a large bowl mix the flour and 1 tsp. Salt and shortening(a pastry blender allows for easy mixing). Beat two eggs in cup of milk and add to the flour, shortening and saltmixture.Mix well until a stiff dough isformed.With a rolling pin, roll out todesired thickness and cut into 2 inch squares.

In a large kettle, add squirrels, 2 teaspoons salt, 1teaspoon pepper, chopped onion andceleryto about 4 quarts of water.Bring to a boil and let simmer an hour to anhour and 15 minutes until meat removes from bones easily.Remove squirrel pieces and bone.Replace boneless squirrel into broth andbring to a boil (add enough water if necessary to return to original volume).Add prepared potpie dough (above) andquartered/peeled potatoes and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.Serve immediately.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

Wald yep it probably would be easier.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:28 AM

all sounds good keep them coming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page