bologna making problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

bologna making problem

We made venison bologna for the first time this year. The first time through the grinder we ground 50lb in 10 minutes. As fast as you could put it in. The problem is the second grind took well over an hour. The meat was cold and the garage was 20 degrees tops. The bologna turned out great. Cant figure out why its so hard to regrind the meat. You have to "stuff it in" with the stomper. Its a brand new # 12 electric grinder we bought at Gander for 400.00. Any help would be awesome! Thanks Shuey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 PM

Were you grinding finer on the second time?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Finer meat doesn't seam to go through as fast my experience. Nothing for the blades to really grab hold of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:00 AM

That's just the way it is when trying to regrind with a smaller grinder. Commercial grinders have enough horsepower to run a second grind with ease.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

We regrind with a 1/4" hole plate. It's a 3/4 horse grinder.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:50 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have a Cabela's Commercial Grade 1/2HP #8, and the 2nd grind on a 3/16 plate goes through fine. I don't notice mashing it much, but I do have to mash it into the chute...an 8 chute just isn't big enough to just drop already ground meat into it, the meat will cling to the sides. I just load the tray with one hand and work it down the chute with the masher with the other hand. I think the 2nd grind is actually quicker.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 PM
New Arrival

Second grind is an issue fo me also. Using a very old 1/2 horse Hobart. The meat just not have enough big pieces left to it after the original 3/8 plate. Just something that you have to deal with.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:38 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Is the meat cold enough? Warm coarse ground meat is somewhat like playdoh, and it's sticky. I like to do my batches when it's at least a little chilly outside. I grind into a meat tub and put it outside as soon as that batch is done, that way it chills down again before I run it through the second time.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We made 196# and I had it double ground in just over an hour? Coarse and then fine. Feed with one hand and stomp with the other.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:37 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post
We made 196# and I had it double ground in just over an hour? Coarse and then fine. Feed with one hand and stomp with the other.
Pretty much my process, too. I try to send it through the coarse grind half-frozen if possible, it grinds really easily that way. I set the tub outside to cool off, then run it through the fine plate (1/8 or 3/16) and it goes fine. Like you said, one hand adds the coarse grind to the pan, the other uses the masher to shove the coarse grind into the chute. I don't think I have any break in the output into the tub when I do the fine plate grind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page