Smoker - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By shouldvbeenthere
  • 1 Post By tdd
  • 1 Post By tdd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Smoker

I currently use a home built smoker from an old wood stove and tin metal smokehouse. It can be kind of hard to regulate the temp and the temp inside the box can vary from top to bottom, so I'm looking at the propane/electric smokers but have a few questions for the guys that have used these:

How long does it take to smoke bolonga (2.5" diameter)

How many sticks of bolonga will fit at one time? (I currently use a summer sausage kit and each stick is 3lbs)

Inside the box is the temp constant from top to bottom, other-words does everything get done evenly at once?

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

12 hrs Ihave a bologna hanging rack bolted to top of smoker. It holds 8. I think a 3# bag would hang to low an close to flame drying out end of bag. I use 2# bags. Temps do vary from top to bottom

4B Cumberland Co.
4A Bedford Co.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Part of the Community

Try wrapping a welding blanket around the smokehouse. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, you can get one for around $20. I do this when I am using my smoker in colder weather to help regulate temps. I just use some magnets to hold the blanket on. The blankets are good for temps up to 1000 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Butcher supply company has 17Ē muslin bags that work perfect for the home smoker. You can get 2# or 3# bags. Donít hurry the smoke time. Mine usually take around 15 hrs. I start at 140* and increase 10* every 4 hrs and donít go over 170*
tdd likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:44 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

When I do a 12.5lb batch of sweet bologna, I divide the mix roughly evenly between two muslin bags, and in my Masterbuilt 30, I tie them to a rack and put it on top of the top most rack slot. This gets the bags JUUUUUUST above the heating element. Sometimes I lose a smidge right at the bottom of one bologna, but not much and not all the time. It amounts to about one bite worth of bologna, lol.

For snack sticks, the most I can run through it at a time (so far, maybe I'll find a better way as I experiment) is about 15lbs. I tried a 20lb batch and had to run it in two batches.

I do as above...start low, bump periodically to sneak up the temp. Don't hit with too much heat too fast or you melt out the fat.

I'll frequently (especially in cold outside temps) finish the last few internal temp degrees in the oven inside.
shouldvbeenthere likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I got some 3/8" oak dowel to hang the sticks. Worked ok, but as too thin and bowed. 5/8"-3/4" would be better. Won't fit in the rack slides, but could be cut to length and laid on top of the topmost one, which is what I plan to do next time. That helps free up some space. I have had very little difficulty with my MES 30 on temps. My biggest challenge is fitting in all the stuff I need/want to do, lol.
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page