Meat on Ice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Meat on Ice

I shot a buck yesterday, wasn't sure on the shot so let it sit till evening. Easy recovery and got it straight in ice. After sitting in ice and in the ice water some of it turned grey. Is this near still good if it doesn't smell bad? Can I at least grind it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My own 2 cents. I'd trim the grey off. Meat and water are not usually good.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Banned

You should not let the meat sit in ice water, you can see what happens. I don' t know if the taste will be affected but it looks very unappetizing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

You should never let your meat come into contact with anything liquid. Water is the breeding grounds of bacteria. What your seeing is a interaction of some sort with the meats myoglobin. Nothing wrong with it, just not appetizing to look at.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

This was my first time getting one at the new camp and having to butcher without a refrigerator space. Usually I can get the deer home before processing, but being in a DMA that's not an option out there. How do you folks handle meat when its in the 60s or 70s and can't get in a fridge for a couple days? They had some frozen 2 liter bottles but we went 3 for 3 in two days so there wasn't enough to go around. My main focus was just getting the meat cooled, it had been sitting dead for about 7 hours in that heat before I got to it, and another few hours til I got it back to camp and cut up.

As an update, I have been cutting it all out and it didn't penetrate deep so I'm still getting a good bit off it. But any suggestions moving forward would be fantastic.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shiftyshad-So far we have had a good success with two methods. Before we had the big cooler we would be all of the meat in Ziploc bags or water tight bags and would sit that in the cooler with ice. This would prevent the water and the meat coming in contact. Recently I bought a large cheap coleman cooler and a yeti. We put a slotted shelf on the bottom of the coleman to sit the meat on top of and the ice would stay underneath of that. For the yeti, the ice doesn't meat enough to ever come in contact with the meat.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

On Thursday when I killed my doe it was 72 degrees by the time I got it to my truck, I went and bought a 20 lb bag and a 5 lb bag of ice, I shoved the
20 lb bag up in the chest cavity and the 5 lb bag behind it. It works well.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:57 PM

J.M.O. but 10 hours in that heat would be too much for me to want to eat it let alone the ice water issue. Especially if it died very soon after the shot. I will add that I am very picky about food. I have done what Woods walker has done a couple of times but that was after a fairly quick recovery.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 01:08 PM

I skin and quarter, put quarters in black trash bags and put them in coolers with ice. Smaller cuts (loins, etc.) I put in large ziplock bags in the coolers. I hunt early muzzleloader season with flintlock. Lot of times it's pretty warm so I take 3 coolers with me just for this. If I took the deer in the morning, I head home that afternoon to finish processing. If taken in the afternoon, I head home the next morning. Never a problem
RacksnQuacks and Tater86 like this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life (Certified RSO,) NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 02:51 PM

I recommend you keep the drain on your cooler open and you won't have water in there. I hauled 4 wild hogs home from South Carolina in a minivan, stopped every gas up and drained the water. When I got them home I butchered one and consolidated what ice was left. I left my cooler drains open over my garage floor drain and it took me a couple evenings to butcher the rest. I had no water issues or gray meat. I have put a deer or two on ice with no issues either.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page