5Likes
  • 2 Post By Laylow
  • 2 Post By Birch812
  • 1 Post By G2CDeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Horseradish

Plan on buying some roots at the store and making my own. Anyone have any good recipes ? For me the stronger the better.

Thanks !

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Splash of white vinegar pinch of salt and grind it outside. Stay up wind.

My brother does diced horse radish, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp white vinegar, 1 tbsp white sugar and 1 tbsp salt.
jimbridger and steelhead125 like this.

Last edited by Laylow; 03-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Plan on buying some roots at the store and making my own. Anyone have any good recipes ? For me the stronger the better.
Thanks !
If purchasing horseradish, look for firm, unblemished roots. When cut, the root should be creamy white. The root can be stored for several months between 32-38 degrees F, but for the hottest horseradish sauce, use as soon as possible.
To prepare your own horseradish, work either outside or in a well-ventilated room.
Peel the roots and either slice or grate them. Sliced root can be ground in a food processor, blender, or meat grinder with a small amount of water. You can grate horseradish either by hand or with the processor’s grating blade with a bit of water. If it’s too runny, drain some water off; or too thick, add a bit more.
Be careful. The fumes from the root can be potent! Fresh crushed horseradish is at its strongest but once it is exposed to air, the pungency begins to wane. The key to making horseradish hot, when to finish it off with the next ingredient — vinegar. Vinegar stabilizes the flavor and when you add it, will affect the spicy outcome. If you add the vinegar too soon, the horseradish will be milder in flavor. For “knock your socks off” spicy, be sure to wait three minutes before adding 2 to 3 tablespoons of (5% strength) white distilled vinegar and ½ teaspoon salt for each cup of grated root. So, to achieve the hottest horseradish, use the freshest root possible and be patient; wait three minutes before adding the vinegar and salt. Also, once your horseradish is complete, proper storage is crucial to maintain that heat. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for four to six weeks or in the freezer for six months or even longer
Good Luck
steelhead125 and RSIHC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys !!!!!! Going to surprise my dad and brother with it for Easter dinner. Nothing better than super hot horseradish and ham.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We grown our own and we also can beets. Around Easter we dig up the horseradish and grind it using the food processor and mix with the beet juice.
jimbridger likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Regular Visitor

I grow my own in the garden. Only thing I do is grid it in a blender. Let it set for 10 minutes or so then I add nothing but white vinegar. I just clean the dirt off of it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 PM

I also grow my own root and beets. But buy fresh beets to add to the horseradish.
For eating with beef or deer meat I just use fresh root grated onto the grilled meat. Or I clean peel and grate by hand on a fine grater and add white vinegar to taste. Let it sit over night and taste. Sometimes it needs more vinegar.

I find that all roots are not the same in pinch but the finer you grate it the more flavor you get. This is to a point because if to the point of puree it seems to lose pinch/ punch quick.

Only for Easter do I add red beets for eating with the ham. This can be tricky because the beets can be sweet or bland. When sweet you need to add more horseradish and vinegar. Again this is to taste and the next day or two it could change so mix well and sample. You should taste all three ingredients if done right. Add only what you are missing. Enjoy Waugh!

BTW 1 or 2 peeled boiled eggs packed in a Qt of the horseradish/red beet sauce come out pretty good in a few days.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page