How much did you pay to have your deer processed. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

How much did you pay to have your deer processed.

For those of you who don't have the equipment or know how to do it, how much did you pay to get your deer processed? I had skinned it so I saved that fee. I had 37 lb of edible meat. I got 3 steaks from the hind quarter with 2/3 was to be made into bologna and 1/3 into snack sticks. I paid $255.60. I thought that was kind of pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know my shop charges $8 per stick of bologna not sure of the price of snack sticks.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 PM

My local shop charges $70 for a straight cut on a skun deer. Bologna is $2.50/lb, snack sticks are $3.35/lb, cheese sticks are $3.75/lb. I always butcher my own, but I usually take some scrap meat over to get sticks and bologna made, because they're a lot better at it than I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 PM

Here in ND, it's 2.70 pound for Country sausage, 2.80 for potato sausage, 2.30 for Summer sausage and 3.20 for links. It's 100 bucks to process with hide on.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFRET View Post
Here in ND, it's 2.70 pound for Country sausage, 2.80 for potato sausage, 2.30 for Summer sausage and 3.20 for links. It's 100 bucks to process with hide on.
A local deer processor charges $85 to skin cut wrap basic cuts and burger. Bologna products extra.

I'm able to skin and bone my deer. Past two years I've been using Warranington Farms in Dillsburg.to make my bologna, sausage and grind my burger. Highly recommend them.

This year bologna price was $2.15 lb. pepper sticks $3.15 lb
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
For those of you who don't have the equipment or know how to do it, how much did you pay to get your deer processed? I had skinned it so I saved that fee. I had 37 lb of edible meat. I got 3 steaks from the hind quarter with 2/3 was to be made into bologna and 1/3 into snack sticks. I paid $255.60. I thought that was kind of pricey.
That definitely seems pricey. Do you know the total weight of bologna and sticks you had made?

Even assuming you had all 37lbs made into snack sticks at $4/lb....that's $148, leaving $107+ for general deboning and processing. Seems pretty high to me.

We are fortunate to have the equipment to do the majority ourselves (we do an old-school pig butchering every November) and have bologna and snack sticks made by a local butcher shop....but this year I saved some chunk meat to try making bologna myself with some high temp cheese and a good recipe I was given. If that works out, we will be doing everything ourselves in the future.

If I recall correctly, you are pretty close to me. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and I can give you the info for the shop we use. I think the bologna is around $3.50/lb with cheese, but don't quote me on that until I can confirm.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 AM

The guy I go to charges $60 per deer for a basic cut, regardless of size. I paid $66 total because I got some hot Italian sausage. I'm more than happy with that price.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

1 place I use in mercer County is $70 straight cut and wrapped. The other place is Amish and they charge $35 straight cut NOT wrapped. And they charge $1.80 per pound for regular bologna.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceRack! View Post
Past two years I've been using Warranington Farms in Dillsburg.to make my bologna, sausage and grind my burger. Highly recommend them.

This year bologna price was $2.15 lb. pepper sticks $3.15 lb
I've used them in the past and believe their bologna and sausage is excellent. I only quit using them due to moving and therefore now do my own bologna. Definitely well worth the price.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Part of the Community

Well, my brother shot a large doe, I skinned it and quartered it and cut the back straps off, since we live in a Chronic Waste Area and cannot legally transport it whole out of the area.
After getting the whole deer made into Deer Sticks - since there is no beef in a deer, and the Amish added cheese to half, and two deer bologna, the total bill came to $211.00

Deer Pepper Sticks were $3.25 a lbs
Deer Pepper sticks with Cheese were $3.50 a lbs
Deer Bologna was $3.00 a lbs and each bologna weighed 3 lbs

This is all wet weight, not the finished product.
De Bone the deer was probably $35.00

Not that it took them very long to cut the meat off the hind quarters and off the front legs.
The Amish has it down to the point of where they cut the major portion of the meat off and anything still sticking to the bones is thrown in the dumpster.

I think there was 25 lbs of plain sticks, 20 lbs of cheese sticks and 2 bologna's.
Not all of the meat used to make these products is deer meat, hence they add pork, pork fat, and cheese. Pork was $1.69 a lbs at the time, Pork fat was $1.00 a lbs and cheese was $3.50 a lbs. - as far as I could estimate.

I gave my brother $65.00 for 12 lbs of Cheese Sticks and 2 Deer Bologna's.
12 x 3.50 = 42
2 x 9 = $18
42 + 18 = $60
That gave him $5.00 towards his bill for paying to cut it up.
The shop gave him $5.00 for the hide.

Two years ago, Pepper sticks was $1.25 a lbs and cheese sticks were $1.50 a lbs.
Deer Bologna was $5.00 each
So basically the price has doubled on everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page