Meat grinder - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Part of the Community

I think had you done a little, not even a lot of research, you would have found that this topic was already done to death several other times.
Don't know why someone would want to resurrect it again - like no one has ever brought this topic up before.
Last year the hunting was so bad I had to mix my deer meat with pork sausage.
The Amish Butcher charged me $8.00 to grind 40 lbs of meat and mix it in his grinder with seasonings. The whole works took him about 10 minutes including washing out his grinder before he started and washing it out again after I was done!
I gladly paid him the $8.00 - since it would have taken me 6 hours to grind the same amount of meat with one of my own grinders.
Commercial equipment will always beat out manual grinders, but are too expensive to buy just for a couple of lbs of meat a year.
Yes the Cabela's and other food grinders will grind meat.
But most of them, the grinding if done right is slow and meticulous.
It's hard to mix two entirely different meats together and get something of a good consistency.
Most grinders do not like having ground meat pushed thru them a second time.
Some people will remove the blade so all the grinder has to do is mix the meat and push it thru the plate. I won't even make rope sausage unless I have at least 50 lbs of meat!
The hog casings are too expensive and it uses a lot of meat to make a couple of ropes of sausage. And if you give it away like I do - you soon find yourself with no meat for yourself.
I believe that I am better off grinding the whole deer minus the back straps then I am trying to cut steaks and chops, since I can use the ground meat for just about anything you can cook with hamburger.
The Food Saver bags are great for keeping meat fresh, but are very expensive.
I couldn't justify putting meat into one lbs packages, it would take too long and be too costly.
I actually put half of my ground meat into zip lock bags and the other half I use the food saver pouches. It probably takes me a whole day just to put the meat into bags and pouches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 08:51 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

No need to chastise the guy for asking a question.

This forum is here for that purpose.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM

I bought one of those giant kitchen aid stand mixers. 7 qt. 1.3 horsepower motor, with grinder and sausage stuffer attachments. Works great. A little pricey, but sometimes QVC has them. I got mine for $350. And the cool thing, the wife thinks it was for her.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbo View Post
Yes the Cabela's and other food grinders will grind meat.
But most of them, the grinding if done right is slow and meticulous.
It's hard to mix two entirely different meats together and get something of a good consistency.
Most grinders do not like having ground meat pushed thru them a second time.
I have to disagree. I have a 3/4 hp cabelas "commercial grade" grinder which wasnt terribly expensive compared to paying someone else to process a deer. There is nothing slow about grinding with it as it will grind as fast as I can put the meat in it. I do a second grind with a finer plate and never have any problems getting the meat through in short order. Is it as fast as a commercial butcher shop grinder "no" but its plenty fast enough for a guy doing a deer or two at a time. Grinding and wrapping is the shortest part of the whole butchering process for me. I run the meat through a power sausage stuffing tube and into the 1 lb lem ploy freezer bags. I have never had meat go bad in them and it is much quicker than measuring and wrapping by hand or with a food saver. To each his own.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:14 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I may try that when my labor pool is depleted, but I have a bunch of munchkins running around my house for the foreseeable future, and they get to help with packing the ground meat when I'm done grinding.

I have had nothing but great results from vacuum packing venison, whole cuts and ground. It keeps without freezer burn just fine for a very long time if needed.

I agree on the Cabela's Commercial Grade grinders. I have really pushed mine and never clogged or bogged it down, even on the 2nd grind. Some say you can run the trimmings right through the 3/16 plate, but I haven't tried that.

The most time consuming part is the trimming work of boning the meat and trimming off fat, connective tissue, etc. I can mow through the grinding pretty fast once the trimming work is over. And with a kid weighing out ground meat and my wife bagging/sealing it, the stuff is done and in the freezer pretty fast.

If it were me and only me, I'd probably look to other means of getting it bagged to speed that up, but for now, I have free labor.

nomad_archer likes this.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 AM

@tdd put that free labor to work. My kids are not old enough yet they are 4 yo and 5 months. The 4yo loves to watch the whole process so she will be a helper in no time. I may have to get a vacuum sealer for the back straps and tender loins. Right now I wrap in plastic wrap and freezer paper and that works fine but I may try the vac sealer in the future. The food freezer bags I mentioned earlier have worked for me. I have only had them in the freezer for a little over a year since the venison doesn't last very long in my house.

If you ever use the sausage stuffer on the grinder, I found that putting everything on the grinder that will come in contact with the meat when stuffing in the freezer to get it cold and them spraying everything with a food grade silicone lubricant will keep the auger and stuffing tube from gumming up with fat and slowing down the process. If you ever go to the bag get the foot operated on off switch as it makes everything much easier.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:08 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Yep, got the foot pedal switch. Love it.

Haven't though to spray Pam or similar on the internals, but I'm doing a facepalm for NOT thinking of it till you suggested it!

I bought a "Cyclone Auger" to just get to making snack sticks. It hooks on the auger on the Cabela's Commercial Grade units, adds a "needle" stuffer attachment, and actually stuffs casings pretty well, I think. But I still want to get an actual stuffer at some point soon.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM

The cyclone auger sounds like the "high speed" stuffer that come with my grinder. I always spray all the metal down with the food grade silicone lubricant before I put it away as well just to make sure the metal has some protection from moisture. I dont get enough venison to keep up with the family's consumption but if I did make snack sticks or sausage I can see the value in a stand alone sausage stuffer.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:33 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I should get some of that stuff. I use vegetable oil to lightly oil the metal parts for storage. Spray stuff sounds a lot simpler to apply!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 AM

I get the spray at the local hardware story since they carry CRC Food Grade Silicone spray. I have used the LEM labeled stuff as well as another brand. It all works but the cheapest I found was the CRC at the hardware store. It may not be the cheapest anymore its been a few years since I bought any.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page