Butchering Clean Up Procedures - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Butchering Clean Up Procedures

I was fortunate enough to take a deer yesterday and 3 years ago I started butchering my own deer. Ever since my wife had our son, she has turned into bit of a germaphobe. She was a bit hesitant for me to butcher a deer in our garage. I always take great care in cleanliness and cleaning up afterwards. I am just wondering what everyone's procedures are?

How I do mine...

I drag the deer into my garage on a free harbor freight tarp, and then I hang it on my little deer hoist thing. I put a rubbermaid container underneath of it to keep blood from going everywhere as i skin and cut it up.

After the deer is skinned and hair is removed as much as possible, my actual butchering takes place on one of those white plastic fold up tables you get for $30 bucks at walmart. I use 2 big cutting boards to actually cut the meat on. Everything is wiped down clean before hand. After the meat is cut up it goes into rubbermaid food containers and into the fridge/freezer before I grind it.

After that I wrap the deer in the tarp and put it into the trash can and wrap the bag up and put it outside to be collected.

I hose the tables, cutting boards, and containers off before bringing them into the house, making an effort to get the majority of blood and meat bits off.

I then wash them in the sink like normal dishes with hot water and dishsoap.

I then go back out to the garage and mop up any blood and everything. Then I change water and use a bleach water mix to do a final disenfecting mop on the concrete.

I also wipe the table down with another clean bleach water mix and then hose it off again and put it away.

As a final precaution, I wipe any doorhandles or anything I know I touched with a lysol wipe to kill/clean anything I touched.

What do you guys do? Any tips or extra steps I should take?
rd22 likes this.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 PM

I think you are thorough enough. That's more than I do. I put visqueen on my work bench and do all the cutting on there. When I am done I just toss the visqueen and quickly wipe down the work bench with Clorox wipes. I don't mop the garage nfloor once I am done since I try to keep everything on a tarp. All of the cutting boards, knives and grinder is treated like dishes. The clean up is nothing different than cleaning up after food prep for store bought meat. If those steps work for you, they are more than sufficient.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:13 PM

I think you are fine. I skin and quarter in my shed. I cut the quarters on a very large cutting board on the kitchen table. I've done it this way since my kids were very young. I've never had a problem, nor have I ever heard of a problem from anyone concerning processing deer meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:15 PM

I got a big stainless steel cart with locking wheels in the basement, along with a butcher shop ban saw. I do all my work down there, except for the grinding. I have a 700 watt mixer with a grinder attachment which makes short work of grinding anything. I vacuum pack in the kitchen. Cleaning isn't that bad, except for the saw. It takes some effort to clean it, bone and meat shavings all through the blade housing. But after the soap and water clean up, everything in the basement gets cleaned again with a water and bleach mixture. Learned it from a butcher.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

you are doing more than most. Good job. If I need a heart transplant I'll call you up.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:37 AM
Administrator

I used to demand that the wife put the kids through all those cleaning processes so they wouldnt contaminate my good venison.

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:26 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I use dish soap (Dawn) and water to wipe the visible stuff off everything. Wet rag/paper towel to make sure the soap is off everything. Knives and anything else that can go in the dishwasher, goes in.

I use a fillet table from Cabela's (got it for $50 on sale) that I love....whole thing is a cutting board and it cleans up nice, and it's tall enough to work at it comfortably. Once cleaned with Dawn, I lysol wipe it.

I skin in my shed, and I drag them in on a tarp, let them hang/drip over it, and reuse it till it's a little more funky than I care for. Tarps are cheap, I don't run them forever.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

To the OP, is your son your first?

If so, do you intend to have a 2nd child? If so, the germaphobe stuff will die off quick. My wife was that way with our first daughter. We have three daughters now, and the things she worries about with the third are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fewer than what she worried about with the first.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
To the OP, is your son your first?

If so, do you intend to have a 2nd child? If so, the germaphobe stuff will die off quick. My wife was that way with our first daughter. We have three daughters now, and the things she worries about with the third are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fewer than what she worried about with the first.

Yep you guessed it, he is our first. We were in our early 30's before we decided to have kids so its been a little bit of a lifestyle change but a fun one haha.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'll probably mangle this, but I'll do my best.

Old adage/joke about kids and worries about germs.

Mom sees her first kid eat dirt. Calls poison control, takes him to ER, makes doctor appointment.

Mom sees her second kid eat dirt. Rinses mouth, scolds kid, keeps an eye on him for a few days to make sure nothing is wrong.

Mom sees her third kid eat dirt. Wonders if she still has to feed him lunch.

Having three kids, I can verify the truthfulness of this progression!
rd22 and nomad_archer like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page