Squirrel pot pie - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Squirrel pot pie

Guys, could I hear your bushytail pot pie recipes? I got an urge to go do some population control, but in the past I've never had much luck with cooking them. I either get squirrel flavored bubble gum or they fall of the bone but are tasteless. Figured a pie would help solve that.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:30 PM

I take mine (either bushytails or rabbits, works equally well with both...) and put them in the crock-pot, whole or quartered, overnight with just enough water to cover them. Add salt and pepper to taste, cook on low. In the morning I drain the broth off and set it aside and pick all the meat off the bones, making sure to pick out any lead shot or bone fragments. When I use rabbit I'll often debone them and just use the meat; in fact, I just made one yesterday this way. Then I just follow the Betty Crocker recipe for chicken pot pie, substituting the broth of whatever critter I am cooking for chicken broth and the meat for the chicken. The meat will blend right in to the gravy, but lots of flavor if you do it right. My wife and I like it better than chicken, and that is not an exaggeration! Just search betty crocker pot pie on Google!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:49 AM

I do a biscuit crust not a flaky pie crust, just the way my grandma always did it and she still called it pot pie. Whatever you call it, it is comfort food in the truest sense, it has always been one of my favorite dishes.

I don't measure anything when I cook but this is my process. Honestly with the braising process your going to end up with a meat that doesn't have a lot of character, but I don't see any way around that with a pot pie. I usually make it with quite an assortment I'll throw in some grouse legs, rabbits maybe, whatever else is in the freezer. I've done Asian bbq squirrel for something with a bit more meaty character.

Braise a bunch of squirrels in stock for a couple hours until it falls off the bone. Pick meat off the bones and set aside. Strain and reserve stock

In a few tablespoons of butter saute onions, carrots, celery until tender. Add some fresh or dried thyme and a couple cloves of garlic. Add a couple tablespoons of flour. You want to thicken the gravy a little bit but keep in mind the crust will also soak up some liquid and thicken it. Deglaze the pan with a bit of white wine. Add desired amount of stock, squirrel meat, and peas. Mix up some garlic/rosemary biscuit batter and pour it on top. Bake 40 minutes or so at about 375 until the biscuits are cooked. Serve with homemade applesauce and an ice cold pale ale. Wow sounds good I'm going to have to make it myself soon, it's been awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page