Harbor Freight meat grinder - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Harbor Freight meat grinder

I'm about ready to buy a grinder, and I know there were a lot of positive posts about the Harbor Freight meat grinder.

It looks like it comes with three plates. The grinder I've borrowed currently has a much finer screen/plate (#8???) than what it seems to have on the pic for the HF unit. For those who have this grinder, where do/did you get additional plates?

And those who have it, you've been happy with it? I need to generally grind quite a bit of meat each year. We usually bring in 3+ deer.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Harbor Freight meat grinder

I don't have that grinder but I bought a few plates from ebay once you know diameter of your plates you can order online.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:25 AM
New Arrival

I don't have that grinder either but I got a Waring MG105 meat grinder. Really works perfect!

"If God does not exist, then everything is permitted"
-Fyodor Dostoyevsky

http://energypronto.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I've been doing some digging and not feeling warm and fuzzy about the HF unit anymore.

I'll be doing 3, or more, deer per year on it. I have a borrowed ancient...and POWERFUL...grinder, and I love that it just mows through meat, but it's not mine and I can't keep it forever.

I'd thought of going the HF route for cost, but I'm thinking I may need to just buck up and get a fairly beefy one so I'm not buying it again down the road.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

I love HF for inexpensive tools but I think you made the right decision regarding the meat grinder. We bought ours years ago at a butchers resale shop - commercial 220V version that does like 3 pounds per minute. Huge overkill for deer but over 30 years later still runs like new.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I do think I'll go to HF for a winch to put in my shed rafters (I have a pretty big shed, two story with a loft) to hoist deer, but I need a grinder more than a winch. I have a pulley up there now that lifted three deer for me last year, so it can do it again if need be. I need the grinder more.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought the HF grinder about 2 years ago,with the 20% off coupon,I got it for a little over $40. So far I've put 3 deer and a hog through it with no problems. It's a little noisy but it does the job! If and when it breaks,I will buy another one. The way I see it,$40-$45 is still WAY cheaper than taking a deer to the butcher. I never bought extra plates for it,so I can't answer that question.
Bob
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

What worries me a little about the HF unit is that I will usually do at least 3 deer per year.

What I prefer to do, however, is bone the meat out and save it as boned trimmings until the seasons end, then do it all in one session (rather than haul out the grinder, do a deer, make and clean up the mess, and then start over when I get the next one). That makes for a lot of work if the grinder is slow.

The deal breaker on the HF unit is if I can't get a plate to do a more fine grind, though. My wife loves the 3/16" plate grind that's very fine, and won't be happy with a more coarse grind.

Taken all together, I'm kind of thinking I should just buck up and get a more robust grinder and be done with it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

And as an aside, as I read grinder reveiws/Q&A on the web, I have to wonder...why do I see SOMEONE ask on the Q&A for EVERY grinder if the grinder can grind up meat with bones in it???? Who the heck wants bones ground in their burger????
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
The deal breaker on the HF unit is if I can't get a plate to do a more fine grind, though. My wife loves the 3/16" plate grind that's very fine, and won't be happy with a more coarse grind.
Won't double grinding it fix that problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page