Old Rut Buck Taste - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Old Rut Buck Taste

I never was a big believer in deer having a really "gamey"flavor. I have always taken the time when butchering to trim ALL fat/silver skin, to age and to keep everything clean... Anyone who has eating any deer i killed have always said they really couldn't tell the difference between it and beef. That is until this year.

I killed a mature (4+ years old) rutting mountain buck. I did everything the same and was extra careful not to get any of the glands scents on the meat while skinning/butchering. This buck has a VERY strong game flavor. Pretty much to the point that any whole meat (steaks/loins/chops) is inedible, even if i marinate the meat for a longer period of time than normal. The ground meat has a stronger game taste but is still edible. I plan on turning the whole meat into either jerky or canning it (going to do a test can first to make sure its edible once complete). So it wont be wasted but i am curious if any of you had this issue before? It certainly wont stop me from shooting mature bucks. But wish i would have taken a younger doe earlier in the season for steaks.

So what have you guys encountered? Do you believe in bucks during the rut having a stronger game taste? Have you ever had one that was borderline inedible even when it was a healthy deer and the meat was well taking care of? Any suggestions other then some jerky??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 AM

Re: Old Rut Buck Taste

Gut or liver shot? Long time to find deer or gut it? Im guessing maybe something got in blood. Or spoilage. Ive butched many old rut bucks and never had an issue. Gut shot or lond recovery can make a young one unedible.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Double lung with a very small slice through the liver. Recovered, gutted and placed on ice all within 2 hours. Was hung through the night with highs in the 30's.

I've run all the scenarios through my head and can't come up with anything I did wrong. Not the first mature buck I've killed either and didn't have issues with the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

My brother shot an 11 point in 2011. It is still the largest bodied deer i have ever seen in person and he killed it october 17th. He made a great double lung shot and the deer only made it 30 yards. We had it back to the house and cut up within 3 hours. All of the steaks,loins,and chops were also real "gamey" tasting. Wish he would have had that deer aged because it looked like a horse with antlers. We figured it was because of how old the deer was.???
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:51 AM

My largest archery buck, a 19" 9pt, 200+ lbs., was like that. He was chasing a doe around me for a good while, before I shot him through the heart at 10 yds. He was puffing, panting, and all stunk up from rutting. Only one I ever had with that gamey taste.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Glad to see I'm not the only one this has happened to. He was also the biggest deer I've seen in the wild. I didn't get a scale on him but he dwarfed a buck I shot a few years back that had a live weight of 228. The meat I got off his neck alone was more than I've gotten off of two hind quarters of an averaged sized doe.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Saw this on the travel channel. A professional chef does this in his restaurants with venison. He marinates over night with a olive oil/ coconut milk mixture and says it takes the gamey taste out of the meat. Look it up for yourself because I have never tried it myself and don't want you ruining meat.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Part of the Community

Are you sure the [censored] (urine) sack didn't leak and marinate your meat all night until you cleaned it? Gamey tasting is one thing - inedible is another which usually means urine marinating.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Positive, I pulled the urine sac out and emptied it into a bottle for scent. But it is a good thought...

Also the neck roast taste the same as the hind roast. Every bite of meat has the same flavor. Which if the urine sac broke i doubt would be the case (i would think the hind quarter would taste worse than the neck).

One other thing i noticed was that rigor mortis set in VERY fast with this deer. Like within a half hour to 45 minutes.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Crazy theory but it's just a theory. Maybe he was doing a lot of chasing that day and had a lot of lactic acid built up in his muscles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page