Smoking Fish - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Smoking Fish

Any of you guys smoke fish ? If so......what kind of fish do you like to smoke and how do you go about doing it ?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Re: Smoking Fish

What kind? Trout and salmon.

How? In a smoker

It's been a while, since leaving PA I don't fish very much, but I used to smoke just about all of the trout I caught. And Walmart used to have whole salmon for pretty cheap, so I'd smoke those when they had them.

I used a basic brine of water, salt, sugar, and apple juice. Leave them in the brine for 12-24 hours before smoking. The trout I smoked hole, but the salmon I filleted, leaving the skin on.
I prefer fruit tree wood for smoking fish. Apple, cherry, or pear were my favorites.

Thinking back, I've also used beer or wine, in place of apple juice, in the brine. Didn't typically add many spices, sometimes garlic powder, and sometimes a little lemon or orange juice/pieces.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 12:33 PM
The Man

steelhead125, check youtube.
Lots of info there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I guess there is a place up in Erie where you can trade in a fish and they will give you a smoked one. One year my brother brought some back and it was incredible.

Anyone ever hear of this place ?

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, it is actually a bait shop...The kid and I went into it when we went up to fish the Erie tribs.

Google Poor Richard's Bait and Tackle.....

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I did some striper this past year in the smoker. Brined the skinned fillets overnight in Italian salad dressing,rinse off all excess dressing,smoke at about 125 degrees in my electric smoker until they flake easily . I used hickory chips,but use whatever you you like. Fantastic,by fishing buddy who does not particularly care for fish couldn't get enough. If memory serve me right it took about 5hrs. If you use striper make sure you cut away all the dark meat from the skin side of the fillet.

I did this at the campground at Raystown Lake and while the fish is in the smoker, you can be back out on the lake attempting to catch more fish for the next load in the smoker. CAUTION, don't share any of this with the neighbors or you will not have any for yourself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:12 PM

I use to smoke trout when I trout fished years ago. I would fillet them and soak in salt water in the fridge. Then rinse them and fill two trays on the Brinkman. Dry them off good with clean paper towels. Then I'd sprinkle them with lemon pepper and old bay. While doing this I'd have the smoker going. I'd only use about 1/2 a pan of water with seasonings sprinkled in. I smoked with sasafrass. It only took a couple hrs. I put them in a gallon bag and took them into work. They were gone in 2 hrs. or less.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page