The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Berkscoflinter

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Loggy 
#1 ·
Anybody heard from Him? No post since 2/19, logged out 2/24, nothing since.

It's not like him to miss a week of posting, let alone 2 months offline.

#9 ·
Nothing back on this end Bunky. Kind of worried.

We had chatted about a week before his last post, about my Jaeger, and about him starting on his Jaeger rifle. Sent him pics of mine, and he seemed happy to get some decent pics to help him plan his out.

#18 ·
Thanks to you all for comments about my whereabouts and general welfare. Much obliged! Ole Berks is indeed alive and well, and NOT enjoying this staying at home stuff. In fact, my son Ken talked me into a day trip Saturday which got underway at 1:00 A.M. here in Reading, and four hours later, parked in the Tioga State Forest at 5:06 A.M.! This gave me time to don my camoflage, grab the fowler, turkey vest, and thermos, and head up the Rexford Trail to a calling spot I like.

It was great to hear the early songs of migrating, neo-tropical birds, and the spring sounds of frogs in nearby vernal ponds. I sat for six hours, tried four different callers, and even with hearing aids, never heard a single gobble! The Thermacell kept the black flies at bay, but when I stored it away to walk back to the truck, they ate me alive!

Ken didn't hunt but did some hiking and camera work. He still does some grouse hunting in the fall, but that's about it. We arrived back in Reading at five in the afternoon, and I will state that this will be my last 400 mile day trip to hunt the opener!!!

Thanks Bunky for tracking down a phone number and checking in yesterday. It was good to catch up, and thanks again to everyone's kind words of concern.

As a really old fellow informed me a few years ago outside our local grocery store, "the only good thing about old age is, thankfully, it just doesn't last that long"!!!:wink2:

#20 ·
Retired__Rusty,

About the jaeger progress. I'm beginning to have issues with glaucoma, and this has put my rifle building on hold. I got the 31" swamped barrel well seated from muzzle to breech and tang. I duct taped the barrel in place and propped it in the corner, and there it sits! I hope to get back to it soon. Thanks for asking. Berks

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.