Coyote travels - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Coyote travels

Have always heard coyotes are “active” travelers, but I hear folks talking about hunting specific farms or areas.

What’s the skinny?

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:06 AM
cm9
Hooked on HuntingPa

From a hound hunting stand point we continually jump coyotes in the same spots over and over.
beagler likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Don't know what you mean by active travelers but out here they are fairly territorial. I have killed many coyotes in the same general area over many years. As long as the food supply is sufficient for them they will hang around.

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take a ass whipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:48 PM

sounds like any other animal , they will stay where the food and cover is good and plentiful
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They have a large home range that they will patrol and guard against intruders while attempting to stay out of range of others. It isn't a one day thing, might take weeks. If they have a large food source (dead deer) they are going to stay nearby to protect and consume it, maybe a couple to a few days. So depending on food they find that will determine how long it takes to go through their area. For their hunting to be productive they won't choose the same route each time, they may travel in the same area but use a slightly different route. They have areas they prefer and frequent them more often. But during this time of year they aren't denning like a gray fox or raccoon. On my property in the snow I'll usually find a single or pair coming thru about 10-14 days, might see their tracks 2 days in a row and then not again for 2 weeks.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:45 PM
The Man

They have to have the three things that man has. Food, Shelter, Security. I like when there is snow on the ground (6-8 inches) because the coyotes will find the deer core areas then. find the deer after deer season in their core areas and the coyotes will be close by. They will travel railroad tracks, river banks and stream banks. they will use less energy when they travel from area A to B, in other words you won't see them jumping over stubble corn.. they will come down a trail from a wood lot. Sometimes they will travel the county roads to your calling.. just like the man the human they think. well some men think,,, you all know what it's like to walk across a stubble field of cut corn instead of coming along the edge..when you hunt our Pa coyotes remember your a mammal and they are a mammal.. When you run out of food you go get some more. They move on to the next area that is abundant..
cm9 and Juniata4ever like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 02:34 PM
The Man

Coyote, Red Fox, Grey Fox & Coon travel picked corn fields on a daily basis. Why? While checking out Groundhog holes or their old den site or just passing thru. Predators travel between the rows, the easiest way to travel a corn field, standing or picked.
I called and killed many predators in picked corn and called and killed many out from standing corn. Just saying.

When I call heavy brush, the thick stuff, Predators appear. They find a way to me. But corn field travel is easy between the rows. They will change rows, sometimes, when approaching a call. When they hit the end rows (oppisite direction) they will have a zigzag approach.

I do make Canine sets (trapping) in corn stuble as well...
IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_0005 (4).JPG

IMG_0004 (2).JPG
coyotejohn, jwales, cm9 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Hern; 10-27-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 08:36 AM
The Man

I don't mind calling or trapping corn stubble in the right locations...
IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Coyote 003.jpg
BillHjr, jwales, cm9 and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:25 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
Have always heard coyotes are “active” travelers, but I hear folks talking about hunting specific farms or areas.
What’s the skinny?
I agree with cm9. Find 'em in the same area season after season. Why? Like uncle buck stated, Food, Water, Shelter. That usually means cover, the thickest, remote place around.
Coyotes don't need to travel far, for the necessities, in most parts of Pennsylvania.

Here today gone tomorrow, is what I hear often about Coyote.
For the next two months, pups will be leaving parents and home range. So they will leave a void in that area.
Plus, hound hunters, trappers & predator callers will reduce population as the season progresses.

One main factor I experience from Coyote disappearance from an area is human pressure. No only due to fur season, but archery season, early muzzleloader season, small game hunters and so on.
The arrival of Pennsylvania's hunting seasons puts people in the woods hence; moving Coyotes to different areas by human pressure. Not saying these archery, muzzleloader or small game hunter are hunting or chasing Coyote, but just their presents in the woods on a daily basis is enough to move Coyotes out.
cm9 and Juniata4ever like this.

Last edited by Hern; 10-28-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Big woods dogs must be different. Where camp is in the mountains when deer hunting sometimes you will go 2 weeks without seeing a track in the snow then bam the entire mountain is covered in tracks and they are howling all night long. It seems they are either there or they are not. But when they are there it’s not just 1 or 2 it’s a pile of them. Seen as many as 9 travel together already. Days when coyotes are abundant up there you can bet on not seeing any deer.
Juniata4ever likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in