Redemption! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Redemption!

I’ll add the details later. I’m pooped. But this is my first double.

Okay here’s the story....

The moon was bright and evidently the stars were aligned, some luck was on my side.
They harvested the soybeans on a neighboring farm next to the farm I hunted twice and heard coyotes on both times.
As Hearn has said, they were telling me where they wanted me to kill them.
My plan was to set up on the edge of the soybean field in some shade where I thought they were howling from. I was very cautious going in because I felt there was a chance they would already be in the immediate area. Moving very slow and constantly scanning paid off. As I cleared the end of a cornfield, I seen eyes out in the soybean field. I could get their attention lip squeaking but could never coax them in. I got a little closer to them moving along the edge of the corn staying in the shadow and keeping my light on them. I knelt down and got set up on my shooting sticks watching them and intermittently trying to coax them for about 10 minutes. The female was actually laying down in the field and would close her eyes. The male was moving away and I thought he might leave but then he lay down also. I estimated them to be at about 200 yards, maybe. He was a little closer to the crest of a rise and I didn’t feel comfortable shooting at him because there was a house about 800 yards behind him. The female was to the left and lower in a bit of a dip in the field. With ground elevating behind her I felt more comfortable taking a shot at her. Before doing that I tried one more time with some bird distress on a hand call to peak their interest. They would look but nothing more. I was getting ready to take a shot at her but took one more look back at him and he got up. I stayed silent hoping curiosity would get the best of him. He started moving and I thought he may come, but to my surprise he strolled down to her and laid down directly in front of her. The thought crossed my mind, what are the chances??
Well I took a shot at him hitting him a little high in the shoulder, the bullet exited high in the opposing shoulder and hit her in her back right hip, breaking her leg.
This time I did not break my rule, I kept my focus on him to make sure he was down. He was rolling around on the ground trying to bite himself. She was carrying on behind him and at this point I didn’t know I hit her, I thought she was disoriented trying to understand what was happening to him. Then she, up on her front legs started dragging herself moving toward the corn field. He was still moving around so I took one more shot at him, and heard the bullet ricochet. That was a bad feeling. I thought I had better take a shot at her before she made her way to the corn field. She was moving so I held at the front her chest, which I didn’t need to because I hit her just behind the head and it exited below her right ear. She was done. Back on him and he was still down but had his head up facing me. Took one more shot hitting him in the lower chest and he was done. I stepped it off at 172 yards. Along with my first double this is my furthest kill at night.
I know they look big in the picture but the male on the right was just 32 pounds and the female was 27.

Feeling a little better about the bullet I’m using but still will probably look for a better hunting bullet. I’m just going to assume the shot on the coyote that ran off two weeks ago was just not as good of a shot as I thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F656E5B6-4F5B-4335-8BAC-E87CC4D04CDD_1570779085856.jpg (860.2 KB, 57 views)
Hern, coyotejohn, bohunr and 19 others like this.

Your freedom to be you, includes my freedom to be free from you.

Last edited by kdvarmint; 10-11-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You are very good at what you do!

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:00 AM
Sage

Outstanding double!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Awesome!
kdvarmint likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Great job....
kdvarmint likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:57 AM

congrats on your double, looks like two fine coyotes
kdvarmint likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 PM

Awesome job
kdvarmint likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage

Nice looking dogs.
kdvarmint likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Part of the Community

Awesome !!
kdvarmint likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Edited and added the story to my original post.

Your freedom to be you, includes my freedom to be free from you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page