The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Game Call

778 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  coyotejohn 
#1 Ā·
Going to buy a newer model game call. Coyote mainly, foxes sometimes. Any suggestions on what is available and easy to use. Thanks

#6 Ā·
Hey guys: Thanks so much for the info. Have a $500 gift card for a sporting shop and thought I would spend it on a quality call. Didn't want to waste it. Will look those models up and see what I can come up with. Probably miss the ---- coyote anyway. Guys are saying they have as much luck thru the day as at nite. My son was on our property Sunday afternoon at 200 PM. Saw 4 or 5 turkeys. They moved off the road and he went down the road about 35 yards and a coyote ran across it. Must have been watching the birds. I think he may be my first victim. Thanks again Chipper1234

#7 Ā· (Edited)
Which is better Chevy or Ford? They all will call in critters, the e-caller is not the most important gadget you have, if truth be known it probably is the least important. Pay attention to you stand selection, your cover and wind direction and you will have 99% of your calling problems solved. But of course you got to have coyotes/bobcats in your calling area. I have four callers.

1. Wildlife Technologies: In my opinion the best caller out there. Expensive but well worth the money. Mine is the MA-Max comes with 126 sounds, cost $589.

2. ICOtec: Not very expensive and they give military discounts mine is the 2G500, comes with 200 sounds. Price $175 - I like it very much. Light weight, 300 yard remote range and sounds are clear.

3. FoxPro Fury: Probably every coyote in the US knows their sounds. I imagine when you turn on a FoxPro the local coyotes say "darn another guy bought a FoxPro."

4. FoxPro Scorpion: I bought this one when they first came out, many years ago. Fits in my back pocket and calls as good as my Fury. Have killed dozens of coyotes using it. I always take it along as my backup caller. If I could only have one this would be the one.

There are plenty of predator hunters on this site and I'm sure not all of us will ever agree on which caller is the best.

Good luck on your quest.

#8 Ā·
I use a primos alpha dogg. Tons of sounds, the remote is good for 200 yards out. I got a good deal on a black Friday sale at Bass pro a few years ago. Never had any issues so far, the remote is easy to operate. We have bagged a good many fox with it so far and have called in many coyotes. Just can't close the deal with the yotes, maybe this fall and winter our luck will change with them. Best of luck to everyone this season.

#9 Ā·
I too have the foxpro fusion. Great call, great distress sounds, excellent customer service they stand behind them as good as you could ask.

If I was buying a new call today though it would probably be the Icotec. Iā€™m not really impressed with most of the coyote vocalizations on the FoxPro. I do most of my vocalizations with a hand call.

FoxPro is undeniably the most popular e-call in Pa. Like coyotejohn said, a lot of critters have heard the ā€œpopular play listā€.
Iā€™m told by some ā€œexpertsā€ that theyā€™re just dumb animals and donā€™t learn from the sounds they hear. I get ridiculed by them for disagreeing but experience tells me otherwise. Iā€™ve never had success with any of the ā€œgo to soundsā€ they all say they use. Iā€™ve been out nights and listened as others played through the usual routine, just like all the coyotes listen. I didnā€™t start having success until I started using different sounds. Just something to consider.

Iā€™ll also agree with coyotejohn, no e-caller will be the difference maker in your success, itā€™s what you do and how you do it.

Good luck!

#10 Ā·
A short story of over thirty years ago. A good friend of mine was working on his Masters Degree in wildlife management. For his thesis he wanted to focus on predators and asked if I would help. We had a big oak tree, about three hundred yards from our front porch, that was blown down many years ago and the roots exposed. One evening while sitting on the porch my wife said "Is that a coyote going under the roots?" Yes it was and we watched her & him for the next five years raising a litter of pups.
So I told my friend about her and he decided that this would be a good study project. He came out almost every day and evening and would sit on the porch with spotting scope and pencil and paper. Most of the time it was just a boring exercise for me. One evening the pups started to emerge from the den, five of them, they stayed close to the tree but seemed to enjoy being out. Mike then said lets try to call to her after the pups start to roam a bit further from the den and see if we can get her and pups to come in to the call. We/he continued to watch and after a few days he said he thought the time has come to try and call her and pups in. We sat his FoxPro about 50 yards from the porch and waited for her and pups to emerge. About twilight she and pups came out. Mike had the caller set on jackrabbit at a low volume. As soon as he hit the play button she rounded up the pups and herded them back to the den. A few evenings later he again came out and we watched her and pups roaming around. I had my hand call and squeaker, as soon as i let out a few squeaks she stopped and looked in our direction we waited a few seconds and I started on the hand caller. She came to within fifty yards of us before she realized what was going on.

Take that for what it's worth but it sure taught me a lesson.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.