The start of my 60th groundhog season - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shot 5 groundhogs this morning 110,112,148,186, and 220 yards I used the 223 Tikka. 23 total so far.
drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shot 2 groundhogs this morning 158 and 220 yards using the 22x47. 25 total so far.
Drags

Old 06-28-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shot 5 groundhogs this morning 100,111,170,194 and 234 yards I used the 22x47. 30 total so far.
drags

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shot one groundhog this morning at 85 yards I used the 22x47. 31 total so far.
Drags

Old 07-02-2019, 02:46 PM

What do you do with the ground hog carcasses' ?

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Old 07-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
What do you do with the ground hog carcasses' ?
I can’t speak for everyone but the ones I shoot go back in the grave they dug.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shot 2 groundhogs this morning at 150 yards with the Tikka 223, 33 total so far.
Drags

Old 07-03-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shot 2 groundhogs this morning 50 and 125 yards, I used the 223 Tikka. 35 total so far.
drags

Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shot one groundhog this morning at 151 yards with the 223 Tikka 36 total so far.
Drags

Old 07-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Enjoy...... I truly miss those days of hunting groundhogs that started when I was very young around 8 years old. My dad was working out of town and my mom allowed me to take a 22 rifle and one round for a 45 minute timed hunt. She gave me one of dad's old watches, and sent me out the door telling me to be careful. Forty five minutes from the house and back was not enough time to cover much ground so I headed out to the closest place I knew there were dens. I could go directly to the dens, but the ground hogs would surely see me so I had to circle around on a farther route which was thick with tall weeds and sharp briars to have a chance to sneak in without being noticed. I was already checking dad's watch as I was worried about the time it was taking to get into position as I was being scratched with briars.

I hurried as fast as I could until I got close to the area then I slipped in as quite as I could in my Converse All Star sneakers. There were three main dens and I check out two of them seeing nothing; however, just as I made my final move on the last den I spotted a groundhog with just his head sticking out of the den; however he also saw me and pull his head back in so I sat down and aimed my 22 directly at the opening of the den, turned dad's watch around backwards on my wrist so I could see the time without moving. I sat, starred, aimed, hoped and wished for the groundhog to once again appear. I don't how many times I said to myself "Come on" but the wise old hog did not appear and now only just 5 minutes remained.

I could not be late as I knew my chances of being allowed to go on another trusted hunt would greatly diminish. So I said a bad word....Probably "Darn" in those days. So like Barny Fife I unloaded my one round and at full speed sent those Converse All Stars in race mode to arrive back at house in time, but out of breath....and relayed my appreciation and disappointment to my mom who was sympathetic to my first alone hunt.

That night I could not sleep as I kept thinking how did I go wrong, why didn't I move slower, or why didn't the stupid ground hog just stay in place for a couple of more seconds. That was 65 years ago and I remember it like yesterday.

Thanks for sharing your groundhog hunts....
Rimrock and drags like this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in