Night vision/thermal 2020 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Night vision/thermal 2020

Hey folks. Don't you think it is time to press the PGC to allow night vision/thermal devices for hunting predators in Pa?

There was some discussion at a working group meeting. Bureau of LE researched their use in other states by reaching out to other game agencies. The concern on the part of our LE Bureau was poaching. After talking with other states, there was no incidence of higher poaching rates with NV/thermal devices. Yet, our Bureau head said he remains concerned about that here in Pa. Typical....

Anyways, the next push would have to be before the January 2020 meeting where new regulations are discussed for the upcoming year. With hunter number dropping overall, but predator hunting participation remaining rather steady, it makes way too much sense to allow these devices for the die hard predator hunters we do have in this state. Especially after our own LE Bureau could not find factual reasons to oppose them.

I plan on reaching out this coming fall to all of the commissioners expressing my support for them and my desire for them to consider making them legal electronic devices for predator hunting.

Who wants to join me? We need numbers and a concerted effort to get their attention.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 AM

i would like to see that.

i used a hand held FLIR and a night vision scope for hogs in South Carolina. it was so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face back in the swamp. when i heard something i used the flir to look around. i finally saw two hogs headed for the feeder, turned on the scope and when i looked thru it everything was as clear as daytime...just green

i was so amazed at what i was seeing..i missed...LOL

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Old 03-31-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i used a hand held FLIR and a night vision scope for hogs in South Carolina.
I am headed back down next January. Picking up a Photon RT4.5X night vision with IR illuminator for this trip. Planing on bowhunting them at night. Should be quite interesting.

Hunting with Low County Hunting Lodge this time. Didn't you hunt with them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 AM
The Man

Talking

There's a House and Senate bill out there for PA... SB1153 / HB2648...and they seem to be making progress...

Thermal and NV is legal in NY, WV, OH for predator hunting...I had the opportunity to use it in NY there a few weeks ago. Unbelievable..Granted the scope and scanner we used was over $8000 each and the detection and ID range was beyond comprehension. It opened up a whole new process on positioning.

NY has a season and hunting firearms must be AWB compliant
I looked into OH...to me the license cost exceeds worth because I haven't looked into places to hunt yet..they are 24/7/365..all PA hunting firearms and accessories are legal there..

WV is too far away..but I have access to land there.

I had no reason to hunt there until I was invited to yote hunt with thermal...

I hadn't bought a NY license for a good 10 years..for I just turkey hunted up there mainly Sundays. And since PA now allows 2 birds..I tapered off.

I don't know why the"bureau" and anyone else continually throws the "poaching" card for PA on EVERY topic as a deterrent.... There are laws to deter poaching for ALL hunting..Is PA the poaching capital of the lower 48?...no. Does the PA Game Commish take poaching as a top priority..yes. Poaching is a concern from everyone and on everything. MANY more people FOLLOW the law than break the law..just like in everything else.
..Speed limit may be 70....I continually get passed..Do I call the PSP every time someone passes me going 80..no..but if they're driving erratically and I feel someone can be in danger I'll pass the vehicle info along, ....if I come across ANY suspected illegal hunting..Ill pass info EVERY time..
OH law states no coyote hunting 1/2 after or before sunset/sunrise during deer season...PA can work it to how they see fit as an improvement safety factor and poaching concern.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Anybody know if the PGC has the regulatory authority over these devices or does law need to be changed first?

Old 03-31-2019, 11:51 AM
The Man

..law needs to be changed first...those bill would give them the authority to include and regulate devices for predator hunting...
Old 03-31-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Anybody know if the PGC has the regulatory authority over these devices or does law need to be changed first?
If Title 58 (Regulations) was changed as shown below, the devices you are discussing should be lawful:

Title 58 § 141.18. Permitted devices.
Notwithstanding the prohibitions in § 141.6 (relating to illegal devices), the following devices may be used to hunt or take wildlife:

[ Insert language here describing night vision / thermal devices for furbearers / other desired wildlife. ]

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:35 PM
Part of the Community

Poachers will poach with or without night vision.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker View Post
If Title 58 (Regulations) was changed as shown below, the devices you are discussing should be lawful:

Title 58 § 141.18. Permitted devices.
Notwithstanding the prohibitions in § 141.6 (relating to illegal devices), the following devices may be used to hunt or take wildlife:

[ Insert language here describing night vision / thermal devices for furbearers / other desired wildlife. ]
That is what I thought. PGC has regulatory authority. I would prefer the PGC make the change, not he legislature if the PGC, has the authority to do so.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd be all for NV/thermal...I already have NV, but I want to get thermal, but doesn't make sense to buy thermal if PA hunting laws are still behind in the times like a lot of PA hunting laws.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in