Predator Hunting Information Post For Beginners - Page 18 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 PM
New Arrival

Re:

Nice tip about the borax, I'll need to try that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 176 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A lot of info really enjoyed it.
post #173 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great post a lot of info and will try to put it to good use this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:47 AM
New Arrival

Wind direction

Wind direction is probably the MOST confusing part of hunting Yotes. I hear many different opinions on this subject alone. I have read to call when the wind is in your face, Then I hear to be sure to be facing downwind or hunting a slight crosswind.

I am going to list a few of my calling setups and please feel free to pick them apart or tell me that I am dead wrong. Here goes;

Setup 1- Wind blowing in my face. I place the call up wind approx. 60-70 yards. I have heard movement behind me in this scenario so I am assuming they are circling further down wind than I am sitting?

Setup 2- I place the call directly downwind approx 60-70 yards. I am assuming in this scenario they are winding me before I am even seeing them.

Setup-3 I sit at a cross wind and use the above scenarios. With the above setups I have called in a bobcat and many red fox. No Coyotes to date. What am I doing incorrectly?

I will add that I do call for at least 35 minutes at each set with minimal movement. I start the volume low them add volume as time goes. I will call for approx 20 seconds then mute for about 20 seconds on and off. I do throw in different sounds ranging from Rabbit distress to Coyote howls and pup distress.
post #175 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 PM
The Man

Alot can go wrong. We can go on & on about that as the above posts & replies indicate. It's very hard to solve with fingers on keyboard & not being there with boots on the ground.

Don't beat yourself up too much. You may not be doing anything incorrectly. Are Coyotes at your locations when you are calling? Are they here, right NOW?
If so, they should respond with the 1-2-3 setups you do. Finding them is the first hurdle. Just because we saw tracks or droppings last month or last week, doesn't mean they are within earshot NOW.
kdvarmint likes this.
post #176 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSetzer View Post
Wind direction is probably the MOST confusing part of hunting Yotes. I hear many different opinions on this subject alone. I have read to call when the wind is in your face, Then I hear to be sure to be facing downwind or hunting a slight crosswind.
First I need to make it clear all of my success has been at night. So the advice I give all pertains to NIGHT HUNTING.

Wind made simple. Almost.
Understand wind from the coyotes perspective and it gets easier.

#1 Coyotes LIVE or DIE by their nose. Everything a coyote hears and sees, it will want to confirm with its nose.
#2 To do this it obviously needs to get down wind at a distance it feels safe, yet can get a good wiff. In my experience they typically head for a point roughly 75 to 125 yards dead down wind of the call source.

Obviously to be successful you must not get winded. Yet at the same time you "want" a coyote to feel comfortable it can safely approach your position. If you try to force a coyote to do what it is uncomfortable doing, like approaching you from upwind, most likely it will trust its natural wary instinct and avoid your position. Be sure you can see well on your down wind side because that's where a coyote will "want" to put itself. But! You also must be able to see the coyote as it is approaching that area because you must get your shot before it gets there. Second make sure you're not close to cover on your down wind side or you just made it simple for a coyote to wind you without you ever seeing it. Third, keep the call relatively close. I don't typically set my e-call further than 25 yards out, usually on my down wind side but away from the direction I'm "expecting" a coyote to come from. I don't want a coyote in my lap, and I don't want to have to shoot 200 yards either.

So first make your best educated guess where you think a coyote will come from. Set up so you can see it as it angles to get down wind. If you cannot see well in that direction, or dead down wind is where you expect one to come from, adjust. And always keep in mind a coyote can come from ANY direction so scan 360 degrees.

So how do you play the wind? Think from a coyotes perspective. (;

Your freedom to be you, includes my freedom to be free from you.

Last edited by kdvarmint; 02-16-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page