The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Philadelphia Phillies 2019

24K views 734 replies 24 participants last post by  jimbridger 
#1 ·
Phils acquire All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto

Earlier today, the Phillies acquired All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto from the Miami Marlins in exchange for catcher Jorge Alfaro, right-hander Sixto Sanchez, left-hander Will Stewart and international bonus pool money.

Realmuto, 27, was selected to his first National League All-Star team last season and won the Silver Slugger Award. He played in 125 games (111 starts) with the Marlins and batted .277 with 30 doubles, 21 home runs, 74 RBI and an .825 OPS. He led all major league catchers in total bases (206) and his 49 extra-base hits were tied for the most (Yasmani Grandal). Defensively, he finished 2018 first in pop time at 1.90 seconds, second in catcher arm strength at 87.8 mph and sixth in caught-stealing percentage at 38 percent (minimum 30 attempts).

Per FanGraphs valuation of WAR, Realmuto led all major league catchers with 4.8 fWAR last season (next: Grandal, 3.6), which was the highest by a catcher since Buster Posey posted a 5.5 fWAR in 2015.

If he can catch the ball it’s a major upgrade over last seasons catchers.

See less See more
#12 ·
Jim, Alfaro has a gun for sure, but sometimes a little inaccurate. May develop at some point, but Realmuto's arm is no slouch either. The upside for the Phil's at this point is enormous. Realmuto hits for average and power and is fast as h#$l. A good upgrade IMO.

#4 ·
Alfaro was part of the trade, Ron. As Harry would say, “He’s outta here!”

I wasn’t crazy about Alfaro but he was a young player with a lot of promise. We’ll have to watch him develop in Miami. Here are some of his stats from 2018. Remember, the Phils brought in Wilson Ramos and Alfaro lost his starting position.

As exciting as he can be, Alfaro faced his share of struggles behind the plate in 2018. Alfaro led the National League in errors, passed balls and stolen bases allowed. Alfaros arm mainly carries his performance catching, whereas his glovework could use some fine tuning. Despite the strongest arm, Alfaro’s 0.73-second exchange was the 16th-slowest of the 36 qualified catchers.

#9 ·
He did but it was playable and he had surgery this past week and should be good to go. Te scope was a minor deal.

I wish we could get pass the block with one or both of the top 2 free agents. I just would like to also be in play for one more pitcher or take the closer from Boston before he returns to Atlanta. Waugh!

#10 ·
I didn’t remember him tearing his miniscus and having surgery. I always question how these guys keep playing after injuries and not having enough time to completely heal. Carson Wentz is a prime example.

I just checked Jake’s stats from June to Sept. of last year.....

He lost four out of five in June.

He won six in a row in July

He lost four out of five in August

He lost four out of five in September

So, the question is this, did the tear cause him a setback in August and September or was his won-loss record just a part of the team’s poor performance in August and September?

#11 ·
You would have to dig where you don't like digging to find your answer. Did he get run support? Who did he go against? What was his pitch counts? Right on down into the very things the manager is using to pull them in the 4th or 5th inning. He may not have known he injured it as bad as it was. It even seems he was trying to use therapy and strength training to avoid surgery. Why get surgery when it is time to report and not get it right after the season and have time to work on it before spring training.

Could this be a ploy to rest longer and not have to do all the normal spring training drills? We are seeing a lot of veteran players saving themselves for the season. It would be nice to see him have one of his good years in our uniform for a change. Waugh!

#14 ·
He had 6 decisions in all of Aug and Sept. 1 win and 5 losses. In all 5 losses the Phillies scored 3 or less. I don't know how many no decisions he had in that time. He pitched a gem against Boston July 31 and it was down hill from there. I hope he is his old self and we can get him a few runs. Waugh!

#17 ·
Harper has already turned down 300 million. The rumors say he will sign for somewhere close to 400 milllion and it will be with the Phillies. That’s a lot of cabbage for one guy but hey, it ain’t my money. >:)

#18 ·
I would rather the Machado but one is better than none. The Yankees want and need Machado more than they need Harper. If we deal first for Machado we could land both. But that would just about block any additional pitching help. Hoping for the best. Waugh!

#23 ·
Now can we look at relief pitching. If the big bat wants to come over or stay in Washington it is up to him. Time to start spending on multiple players than looking for someone to build around. Waugh!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.