The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

October 15

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  nfd27 
#1 ·
Awesome night in 5D. Tons of sign srapes and rubs. New spot today. Good luck to all who is out.

#7 ·
Was out from 330-dark for the first time on a 17 acre property that i was just invited to hunt on. Basically just climbed a tree that would work best with the wind direction and offered me a good view so i could observe deer movement. Around 5 had a small 5pt stroll past unaware and was also able to see where majority of deer movemet was so now i have a better idea where to set up next time.

#10 ·
I thought it was Halloween on 422 this weekend, the amount of headless deer was scary.....

Also, as some have noted, they are STILL in bachelor groups even now. Got them on camera as early as Saturday night... And doing the 11 pm thing...

#11 ·
I had a doe read the script and come in at 6:00. 90 yards, then 80, 70, 60,... Too bad a 2.5 year old 8 point didn't get the memo and he came in 30 yards behind me. When he hit my scent he headed back where he came from and that abrupt about face bothered the doe so much that she stuck around for 10 minutes constantly blowing. Just letting every deer in the White Haven area know not to come around where I was.

#14 ·
Was out from 4 until dark ! I went to a clearcut that has been cut for about 10 yrs and the wind was supposed to be SE where it would have been blowing out over the steep hollow so I climbed the tree and setup the stand and said to myself right there is where they will be coming from. Well about 5:30 the wind started blowing S right down the way I figured the deer would be coming from. So about 6 I saw 2 deer coming up the trail to my left so I figured they must all be going to come out of the corner so I spun my stand facing into the wind. Now its around 6:30 and I hear movement so I was already standing and take a look around the tree and there at 10-12 yds stands a nice big 8 point feeding on something but I couldn't get around the tree to shoot so I grab my bow and wait for him to come out from behind the bush and he will give me about a 20 yd shot. I see him walking out from the bush so I come to full draw and when I did there was another big buck behind him on the trail that I never saw and he spooked a bit and when he did the other buck jumped about 3 jumps and was mostly behind another bush and I didn't want to take that shot at last lite so I let down and looked around and saw the other buck standing about 80 yds away and at this time it was getting dark but I threw the binos up on him and he was a dandy. Can't really say how many points but he was wider than his ears but not very high ! He stood there the whole time I climbed down the tree in my climber and then I heard him run by me at dark. Then to top it all off I pulled my flashlight out of my pocket and the batteries were dead some how it got turned on in my pocket so I walked out through the clearcut blind you could say ! It was a great night though to be in a stand ! I have been looking at this spot and tree for 4-5 yrs and tonight I finally tried it and wala ! Have to wait until Friday to hunt it again !

#15 ·
Went out for the last 2 hours in the backyard stand. Had a 1.5 year old doe with her small one following her. She gave me a couple of shot opportunities, but I gave her a pass. I didn't feel like dealing with it last night unless it was a really nice sized one as I already have meat in freezer. If she does it again on Friday night or Saturday, I might not make the same decision.

#17 ·
Heart break last night. Spot I've been hunting, deer have been working it backwards to how I'm set up. Heard foot steps coming from behind nice shooter 8 walking towards me. Stopped 10 yards broadside let it fly. Saw it hit behind the shoulder and he ran off. Waited 10 minutes to climb down saw just drops of blood at impact site along with a bloody arrow. Waited a bit to track then once I began blood got good. Tracked thru two corn fields then lost blood backed out went back this morning. Went back to last blood couldn't find anything then at the edge of the field a random corn stalk and ton of blood. Knew he was headed towards water and down a pretty steep wooded hill. Tracked that to the creek thru and onto the opposite bank. Then about 50 yards from the creek lost it. Headed on a path I thought he'd take and dumb luck hit some blood. Tracked that thru a thick bedding area 75-100 ft off the road and lost it. Dumb luck once again found it and it was at an opening to open woods. Didn't find another drop. Blood would be a few drops here and there and then a good spray. Really bummed I lost him.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.