The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

My sons FIRST buck!!

4K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Pa.Bone 
#1 · (Edited)
We hunted the first three days of the season up at our place in Sullivan, we saw a bunch of deer opening day, mostly doe, with 2 smaller buck mixed in that he couldn’t quite identify and get a clean shot off quick enough, so we ended up heading home empty handed. We hunted an afternoon here in Berks during the first week and didn’t see anything moving here, so we decided to make plans to go to my dads cabin in Pike. He purchased the cabin early last year and we have been passively archery hunting out of it since then, but nobody has killed anything out of it. Anyway, we decided to try out a spot that was closer to the cabin due to the cold weather forecast, I figured we could retreat back to the cabin for lunch to warm up if he needed it.
The morning started out slow, we saw 3 doe moving distantly thru laurel, but that was about it. He was starting to get restless around 2pm, so I suggested we climb down and still hunt for an hour or so before we came back to the stand to sit till quitting time. As I stood up, I surveyed the area slowly, and some motion caught my eye about 150yards out. I quickly told him to sit back down and get ready. Sure enough, 2 doe and a small buck came thru. The 2nd doe gave him the cleanest shot at about 65yards and he decided to take it over hoping for a better shot at the small buck. He hit the doe in the lungs, and she went about 45yards and crumpled over. 1st deer ever, down!! He was ecstatic!!
We tagged and dressed her, as I was tying the drag rope to her, he excitedly whispers “dad, there’s a buck coming towards us!!” We froze, both of us were crouched down and there just happed to be a blow down next to us, concealing us from the bucks path. At 50yards, the buck came to a cleaning and I whistled to try to get him to stop, but he kept moving. Realizing his window of opportunity was closing, he took a shot and hit him in the base of the neck, in front of the front shoulder. The buck instantly dropped to the ground as if it were bedding, and laid there looking around, only giving him visibility of the top half of his neck and head which were constantly moving. I told him to keep the gun on him and when he stands up, to take his time and place the shot perfectly. After what seemed like an eternity, he stood up and the boy squeezed the trigger and put him back down for good!! He was out of his mind!! He kept saying “can you believe that just happened??!!!”
We called his grandfather on the radio to come over and take a look. It was so exciting to hear my son re-tell the story to my dad, the man who was by my side when I shot my first deer.
The other sweet part to this story is that my son was using his great, great grandfathers 1943, 30-30, the same gun that every man in our family has used to kill his first buck. I love the traditions of PA deer season, and I’m happy to report that they our being carried on in our family!

Attachments

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
Loggy, our camp is in Hillsgrove, typically we hunt the North side of Camp mountain, but this year it only worked out to be the 2 of us up there for the opener, and I was concerned about the work involved with getting a deer off the mountain. It’s a lot of work!
Anyway, I had good sign around our property, so I decided to hunt there. Saturday we saw 14 deer total, Monday we hunted there again and saw nothing. So Tuesday we went up on the top of the mountain and I tried to do some mini, 1 man drives for him to no avail. There was very little to no pressure on the mountain either.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.