The one that almost got away - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Have been hunting PA for 22 years.Bought a house on 25 acres in Susquehanna County in July. Stared running cameras to see whats what.This guy automatically became my target buck although there are a few that are bigger floating around. I am guessing he is between 4 and 5 years old. Well I had him close 2 times during archery season and couldn't close the deal. First time a fox spooked him by popping out of a bush as he was working his way down a power line. Second time he came in 5 minutes before shooting light and didn't feel comfortable and didn't shoot. I stoped getting daylight pics of him and only one night pic.
Rifle season rolls around and I go to my lease in Wayne county and hunt hard for 3 days passing on a few solid 8 pointers with visions of this guy in my head. Wednesday night I get back to my house and go check my cameras hoping to see he is still around. As I start scrolling through pics I start clicking faster because he is not around . Knowing they are still chasing I get in my stand nice and early Thursday and hope for the best. Had a 8 pointer come in on a bench below me trying to sneak through. Let him walk plenty of time in the season is left. Sat all day and seen a few does and a button that is just a crazy little deer. He caused so much racket in the woods I am surprised the doe didn't kill him. Friday morning woke up with a sore throat and a slight fever so I decide to do a quick hunt and come back and rest till the afternoon and hunt the last 2 hours. Well got out for the morning and that was it.
Saturday I woke up early and had no fever so got back in the stand and sat it out for the day seeing nothing but doe and the crazy button buck that took a beating from a doe that he got to close to. My wife is going to hunt with me the second week like she always does.Monday at 4:22 pm I hear her gun fire and I pack up and go to see whats up. I get there and she is standing over her first buck the 8 pointer I passed up Wednesday. It was 5 years in the making. I was so proud for her after some hugs and high fives I go to pick up the head to straighten in out and the left antler comes off in my hand,the deer head falls and the right antler pops off. Well I went for being so proud to so upset that my wife's first but pops his rack before she got to hold him and get some pics. I assure her that the taxidermist can fix it we go about getting him cleaned up and back to the house. Tuesday morning my pro staffer wife tells me oh I don't have to get up I am tagged out hahaha. A quick cup of coffee and out the door still pumped up from my wife getting her first buck. Again the usual suspects and a very nice 8 pointer that I have seen once so far but needs 1 more year I think to hit his full potential. Couldn't hunt Wednesday as I had a Dr appointment and a early dinner with friends. Thursday morning I rise with a spring in my step being I slept for 5 hours. Knowing the season is short and not alot of guys or shots I decide on sitting for awhile and then going back over to my lease and take a slow walk around and close up my cabin a few miles away for the winter. I bump a few doe and a few grouse and that was it. Back to the house for the night hunt. Sitting in my stand not really seeing anything I am kicking myself for not going to my other stand that is always hot at night. A hour goes by and I see a doe work her way into the field looking over her shoulder and low and behold here he comes the big 7 I have been after for months. The doe starts feeding down the field and he has his head down walking behind her. I get on him with the scope he stops looks up and the 257 weatherby barks and it's game over dropped in his tracks. As I walk out to my deer I see my wife comming down the field to see what I got. I knelt down and think of how luck I am to experience all of God's beauty and share this special moment with my wife. I am humbled to take such a mature animal. We celebrate and get to work getting him cleaned up and caped out for the taxidermist. Dropped him off today and was told he be ready in 8 months. Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I hope everyone enjoys the last day of rifle season. And bring on flintlock baby I have a doe tag burning a hole in my pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171204_163603_1512796952848.jpg (1.15 MB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171208_155137_112_1512797068370.jpg (248.2 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg 20171208_104544_1512797093941.jpg (1.72 MB, 331 views)

one shot meat two shots maybe meat three shots no meat

Last edited by CampLife01; 12-10-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 AM
The Man

Congrats
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:40 AM
The Man

Congrats on a great buck, lot's of mass. Good job on the story, but how about breaking it up into paragraphs next time, LOL, little easier to read!

Congrats to the misses too, good buck right there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Congrats on a great buck, lot's of mass. Good job on the story, but how about breaking it up into paragraphs next time, LOL, little easier to read!

Congrats to the misses too, good buck right there!
Yeah I know sorry did it on my phone while I was waiting on someone to get in there stand so i can do a little one man push to them.

one shot meat two shots maybe meat three shots no meat
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:19 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampLife01 View Post
Yeah I know sorry did it on my phone while I was waiting on someone to get in there stand so i can do a little one man push to them.
Man, if you can type all that on a phone, in the field, you deserve a Ataboy for that alone!
tdd and nomad_archer like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nice ones! Congrats to you both! Nice pics and story. Thanks for sharing!

NRA endowment life member
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Part of the Community

I agree thatís impressive typing! Congrats on the great buck!

Spray'er down, eat lunch.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Sage

Nice buck, good day!

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Great buck, congrats to both of you!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats to both of you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page